I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rubber Winding Checks Cracking
Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2012 08:51PM

I have noticed that many of the rubber winding checks I have installed seem to crack over time. I'm thinking of wrapping decorative thread over the cracked ones and covering the thread with finish epoxy. Has anyone tried this and does anyone think there will be a problem doing this as far as holding up to saltwater fishing? Most of the rubber winding checks that are cracking are the larger ones I use on heavy saltwater rods.

I'm also thinking in the future not using using the rubber winding checks on my saltwater rods. Is it possible to builded a swelled butt wrap off of an EVA fore gripe? I'm not sure how the epoxy will hold over time to the EVA since it is somewhat soft and flexible.

Thank you.

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rubber Winding Checks Cracking
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2012 09:11PM

Just don't use a WC, or use a metal one.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2012 09:14PM

You can do a search on winding checks and find lots of options. You wouldn't be the first one to observe a cracked rubber winding check in salt water.

You can build an epoxy ramp and wrap over it for a winding check. You can also use pigment in the epoxy and shape it with your finger wet in alcohol. The pigmented epoxy (rod bond, 15 minute paste) holds up much better over time than any rubber check would.

Several metal machined options exist as well for an off the shelf choice.

Terry

Date: May 31, 2012 09:41PM

Thanks guys, I have not talked to either one of you in a while. Good hearing from you. I do prefer metal winding checks but I have not been able to find any that are big enough for these saltwater rods. I'll recheck and see what I can find or I'll try the epoxy or go without. Thanks much and I really appreciate your quick replies.

Rich

California

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 31, 2012 10:28PM

Hi Rich,
The Rodworks, on the left, has metal checks up to 23 mm. They probably come from the States but there is no brand name. You could send Ross an email and find out more, if they are big enough for what you need.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 31, 2012 11:46PM

If you are careful put a thread wrap after the check when you finish you can coat them with finish Just try not to go onto the eva

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 31, 2012 11:47PM

Thank you Col, I'll give them a call.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.lightspeed.flsmca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 01, 2012 02:37AM

Thanks Bill.

Posted by: John DeMartini (12.54.94.---)
Date: June 01, 2012 09:33AM

Could it be possible if the winding check is "overstretched" during installation it can produce stress cracks over time as the tension is relieved. I think if the winding check is just barely a snug fit, the cracking issue may not be a problem.

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2012 01:37PM

Rich,
Another very good solution to your problem is to use NO winding checks.
For example, you can use a piece of the grip to form a winding check if you like.

Decorate the rod in a different fashion.

Roger

Date: June 01, 2012 03:48PM

John, I was thinking the same thing. I was using the manufactures specs but some did seemed tight. I think if I do use rubber WCs again I will use bigger ones to ensure there is no over stretching. Thanks for the suggestion.

Date: June 01, 2012 03:51PM

Roger, that's a good point. I'll try it. I think I will cut offf the cracked WCs and do exactly as you suggest, decorate the blank where the WC was. Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster