I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

80 lb bamboo/ Zane Grey special
Posted by: Jerry D Powers (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 12:59PM

Hello guys , I have this real Callutta stick that I bought to make a couple of California style gaffs but got to playing around the other day in the shop and thought it might be fun to make a heavy rod. it has a correction 1 and 1/16 " butt and 36 tipp 8' length ( I know crazy man) but what the heck. I am open for your help/ideas here, do I sand down the knuckles or branch joints on it , does a man put some kind of finish on it to protect it. also it has a bend in it like in the old old days when Zane Grey and Hemingway fished so what did those legends use for those funny bent looking rods. if I take on this project I'm thinking about a Varmac real seat , Pac Bay carbide guides with 38 Aftco roller, not sure about the butt material yet , a wood sleeve would be kinda cool but I dont have a wood lathe. and just to keep this whole thing nastalgic I will use a old mint Penn 80W with Cal Sheets solid machined base single speed ( Idont have a Senator right now) with 80 lb dacron. I am going to temporarly mount the reel slap some guides on it strap it in my test/stress jig and see how it handles say 40 -50 lbs so as to know if I have the correct blank. what do you guys think , Thanks Jerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 11:34AM by Jerry D Powers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80 lb bamboo/ Zane Grey special
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 02:19PM

I gather you have a bamboo tube which has it's natural taper.

A good bamboo fishing rod blank is constructed of carefully prepared strips of bamboo .. usually in a hexagon configuration.
You need to splice it into strips...sand down the nodes... heat treat the strips...
shape them into wedges with the precise taper to produce the action you desire and glue them up.

Do an internet search on "How to build a bamboo fishing rod".

Here's one resource which should answer your questions.

[hipwader.com]

I doubt a simple bamboo tube is going work well as a fishing rod.

Excellent bamboo is required to produce quality rods. The key is it's straight tight grain.

Bamboo is a grass and it's cells grow long and straight. The smaller and tighter they are the better the material.

It's similar to Graphite fabric. The better graphite fabrics have tinier rods fitting closer together.

This yields the highest strength to weight ratio.

This is why Tonkin Bay bamboo is used almost exclusively.

Date: May 29, 2012 02:27PM

Here's a link to the work of a builder making reproductions of original Tuna Club specification rods.
Note they are 6'6" in length.
An 8' rod gives too much leverage to the fish.
The rods are split cane... not round.

Date: May 29, 2012 02:39PM

Here's a link to the work of a builder making reproductions of original Tuna Club specification rods.
Note they are 6'6" in length.
An 8' rod gives too much leverage to the fish.
The rods are split cane... not round.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 02:46PM

That is a fascinating article.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 10:09PM

If I remember right there is an extensive bamboo fly rod building tutorial at @#$%& that may help with the construction technique.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 30, 2012 08:25AM

Jerry, a bamboo fly rod and a bamboo surf rod are miles apart in design, capabilities etc.
Cutting the bamboo into strips and gluing it up changes it considerably.
Indian cane rods (calcutta cane) were very common on the beaches of Southern Africa and tens of thousands of them were used every day to catch everything from Blue Fish to sharks for both sports and subsistence fishermen. They were mostly fished with centerpins but a few baitcaster reels were also employed.
Honestly if you could afford a baitcaster you went for something else as a rod. Kind of like an ABU revo on a crappie dipping pole: you could do it but few would.
Because they don't load as well as graifite or glass and because of big surf/rocks we mainly used 12 to 15 ft lengths.It will give you a workout.

We usually harvested it ourselves and then dried them over several months using everything from the grooves in corrugated iron to weights on the butt while suspending from the rafters of barns.
Important thing was to dry them as straight as possible. Minor straightening tweeks can be done at the joint with a flame, even a candle will suffice for this, its minor tweeks only.
Do NOT sand down or grind off the joints it can weaken it badly.
The harware you suggest is possibly way over what that bamboo will need.
Checking its flex/curve and with weights on the end, i would suspect its more like something you would use 15 or 20# test line on and regular guides would suffice.
Have fun and remember they take a set when stored and bamboo splinters are no joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 08:29AM by Lou Auret.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 30, 2012 10:12AM

I have a pair of "Sussex County Surfcasters" and the story goes.......... After WW 2 returning G I 's bought back with them live bam boo from Japan , they planted it and the "grass" grew like crazy ! Here in the Diamond state most G I 's were either farmers or watermen , and they saw the use of bamboo for fishing . Using natural bamboo stalks they fassioned "The original Sussex county Surfcaster" . Using hose clamps to attach the reel , fishing line to attach the guides , which were available from most hardware stores . (note : tire tape was also used for the same purpose) . I have a pair that I show , and people are genuinely suprised when I show them how well they cast . These rods were seen on the beaches all the way into the 1960's (only 20 yrs after the war) They were a matter of economy , as only the rich city boys could afford the MONTAGUE's etc. of the times . Historicaly I have these in my collection and concider them priceless ! Larry

Date: May 30, 2012 10:12AM

I have a pair of "Sussex County Surfcasters" and the story goes.......... After WW 2 returning G I 's bought back with them live bam boo from Japan , they planted it and the "grass" grew like crazy ! Here in the Diamond state most G I 's were either farmers or watermen , and they saw the use of bamboo for fishing . Using natural bamboo stalks they fassioned "The original Sussex county Surfcaster" . Using hose clamps to attach the reel , fishing line to attach the guides , which were available from most hardware stores . (note : tire tape was also used for the same purpose) . I have a pair that I show , and people are genuinely suprised when I show them how well they cast . These rods were seen on the beaches all the way into the 1960's (only 20 yrs after the war) They were a matter of economy , as only the rich city boys could afford the MONTAGUE's etc. of the times . Historicaly I have these in my collection and concider them priceless ! Larry

Date: May 30, 2012 10:52AM

Sorry for the double post , its raining and my computer is acting up ! Larry

Posted by: Jerry D Powers (69.164.69.---)
Date: May 30, 2012 11:47AM

Thanks Dave when I get on my lapp topp @ home I will look it up. Yes I am a believer in short sticks but with a 36 tip ooh I kinda wana try a 8. Again I am just now looking into this so with some history and ideas from everyone I may switch to another tube cause part of my original idea is not doing the splitt cane thing but using a high quality Bamboo blank. Again I can't wait to see the guy do the Tuna club thing.

Date: May 30, 2012 12:04PM

Thanks Lou , ya I already cut myself Sunday splitting some for the Wifes tomato plants . Thanks I won't sand the joints. So you were growing your own here in the states ? So you don't think a bamboo stick can handle a 80lb set-up ? , This tube I have has about 1/4" wall and the tipp is almost closed. I'm trying to start a trend @ SFSF club annual BH challenge ( 80lb nastalgic class ) believe me I have some nice seeker rods but its something different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 05:16PM by Jerry D Powers.

Date: May 30, 2012 12:11PM

Fasinating Larry thank you.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 31, 2012 08:58AM

Jerry, no I did not grow it here in the states: I am a South African ( aka the deep deep south as i tell folks who ask about my accent here in Memphis TN).
That Indian Cane grew wildly all over Zululand and Mozambique.

I still have a wooden centerpin reel i used on a cane rod: hand made from Sapele and brass and running on a bearing from some part of a DC3 plane.
Get that spinning and (due to the mass of the spool) it will keep spinning longer than the spool of an Abu Revo.
I have won a few rounds of beer with it proving it:)
We used to do what was called a side cast, flicking the reel with your index finger to start the spin:get it wrong and you could cut yourself with line, bang up knuckles,concuss folks on the beach.
Get it right and you get get out about 70 maybe 80 yds if the wind is right .
A raggie( bull shark) on a wooden centerpin reel with only a piece of leather on your palm as a brake will put a hurt on you very fast. I would suggest using a baitcaster setup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster