I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finishing bulges
Posted by: Philip McBride (---.direcway.com)
Date: May 28, 2012 10:15PM

I can't be the first idiot to have this problem. It turns out I did not smooth out the finish upon application... at least sufficiently. While it was drying on the turner the epoxy gravitated to the middle and created a bulge on several wraps. I have tried sanding down the bulges, but I am reluctant to attack them too hard. I guess I could cut them off totally and start over, but was wondering if there was another suggestion. Searching the forum didn't show any threads on this subject.

Philip McBride

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2012 10:16PM by Philip McBride.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finishing bulges
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: May 28, 2012 10:55PM

You could pare them back with a blade and then refinish using the 20 minute hand rotation method (which I reckon is awesome). Iyt is worth a try. I don't think you will get enough off by sanding.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 28, 2012 11:10PM

Hi Phillip,
Sounds like you put too much finish on and you have got a "football". You maybe able to cut them off with a blade if your careful as has been suggested. You can try it and if it doesn't work out then a strip and rebuild is in order.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: May 29, 2012 12:27AM

Football is right. I saw another reference to them as "sags". But in any case, they are a mess. Thanks for the suggestions and I am going to try to cut them. I think if I warm up the wrap a bit it might make cutting easier. Thanks again.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: May 29, 2012 01:18AM

Philip,
The cutting will be easier if the wrap isn't heated. Heating it could make it rubbery and more difficult to pare back. The epoxy is probably still pretty green and will be easy to remove with a nice sharp blade.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: May 29, 2012 09:19AM

You don't have to be afraid of "attacking them too hard". As long as you don't get into the thread you are fine. I find I have more control with a file than with a blade.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 09:50AM

Yup. Footballs are the result of too much epoxy. Try multiple thinner coats rather than trying to cover in one thick one. You'll get bulges in the middle or on either end depending on how level your drier is.

Cutting is quicker than sanding. Stripping and re-wrapping is probably the best solution.

Terry

Posted by: Tim Runnion (---.atw.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 05:08PM

I got lucky on my first build with the finish, two coats and only two small humps (footballs) but they bother me. I feel as if I could knock them down with some elbow gease and a scotchbrite pad. Maybe I can't, I don't know. Anyway, how long should I let the epoxy cure before I try to level it up.

Thanks,

Tim Runnion
Charleston, WV

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 05:57PM

Tim,
Let it go for about 10 years. Then, it will be well cured and you will have caught many many fish on the rod.
If, after 10 years, you still feel that you need to do something about the humps, then go ahead and and do something.

Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 07:36PM

A scotchbrite pad will require enough elbow grease to give you tennis elbow. Break out the 60 grit and file. New epoxy will cover all the scratches and you will never know you sanded those humps.

It is so easy to fix I can't see why anyone would suggest you rewrap.....or live with it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: May 29, 2012 08:26PM

I"m going to try the file. I will report back on my success. After abit of filing, I'll work with the sandpaper. The sanding alone works now, but it takes some time. It is easy to get impatient and hit the rod by mistake. Some gentle filing along with some sandpaper cleanup and I think I will be back in business. With all the comments I am renewed with confidence. Thanks.

I don't want to just "live with it" as it will be a present to a grandson on his 7th birthday. He is in Colorado and can't wait to trout fish with his dad. I want it to look presentable at the least.

Philip

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 09:30PM

I personally find the scratching of finish via sandpaper very easy to spot with anything less than 220 grit. But in this case I would use a razor blade with a very careful hand to not get into the threads. Then simply recoat with one or two thin coats and be done with it. It may not be absolutely perfect, but you can get pretty close.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2012 08:10AM

Philip,
As long as you want everything to be perfect, take 10 minutes, cut the guides and the finish off of the rod, rewrap, recoat, let dry and have the perfect rod.

Good luck
Roger

Date: May 31, 2012 06:09PM

Here is the conclusion: The razor blade worked fine, but was very hard to control. You end up taking big cuts out of the "football". Once you have trimmed the finish epoxy with the razor, you still have to clean up the edges of the cuts to have them look decent.

The file was a terrific solution. It worked either on its own or to help clean up the razor chunks. I have a small 8" file that worked perfectly. I turned on my motor and held the bottom of the wrap in one hand and made several small swipes with the file. The turner kept the results fairly consistent around the wrap. I was surprised how easily the epoxy was reduced by the file. I would say that each wrap took less than 3 minutes.

After using the file, I took some fine grit sandpaper and cleaned up the wraps some more. Overall those wraps that had the horrid "football" bulges are now consistent with the good wraps and are clean and smooth.

I have not yet added new finish to the wraps. I will clean the wraps from finger oils and add a couple of coats of thinly applied finish. I have learned my lesson and thank the board for providing such great direction and solutions.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 31, 2012 06:22PM

You can on the next one Put the finish on - When all are coated - Stop the turner With guides up let any excess hang on the bottom Wipe off Wait a minute or so to see if it hangs again Wipe off any Then start the turner at a slow speed

This way you take off any heavy coated finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 31, 2012 06:22PM

You can on the next one Put the finish on - When all are coated - Stop the turner With guides up let any excess hang on the bottom Wipe off Wait a minute or so to see if it hangs again Wipe off any Then start the turner at a slow speed

This way you take off any heavy coated finish

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster