I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip top ring size vs line size
Posted by: ken khoo (---.078.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: May 28, 2012 08:01PM

Using NGC the choker guide is the smallest as all the rest of the guides to the tip are the same size. I guess this includes the tip top. In his NGC primer Tom has given examples of a couple of ring sizes depending on what line size will be used. I think this is more related to the fact that lines are often joined and therefore the rings need to be big enough to let the knot thru. I know some use the smallest rings as they don't intend to let any knot thru because of the way they fish. My question is whether anyone has a general guide to what size rings to use for particular line sizes. I know this can be difficult as line diameters vary so much but I think if we stick to ordinary mono this will give us a guide that everyone can use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip top ring size vs line size
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2012 08:16PM

You can go very small in most instances as mono, even larger sizes, isn't very large compared to most ring openings.

But you'll want to consider other criteria as well - will the rod be used in cold weather where icing could be a problem? Will you be employing any shock or leader knots? You have to consider everything the rod has to do, not just the line diameter.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: May 29, 2012 02:13PM

I use a bigger top than my running guides. With 10lb. test or above (0.30mm), I like size 5mm top to get better line payout from the tip when tying or clearing a lure. This is without leader knots. I use 3.5mm - 4.5mm for running guides. I would assume you could go smaller with .28mm mono and down (a typical 8lb. size), as this diameter mono and smaller is processed differently during production than the larger diameters.

If you are having accuracy problems, such as "squirrel casts" (casts off the mark - "I see you cast into the tree above the water - are you fishing for squirrels?!) when pitching, some have suggested using anything from a 6 to an 8mm top.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 09:58PM

I am fishing with braid (4lb.-10lb.) +fluorocarbon leader and for majority of my spinning rods built by me the top guide are 2.5mm.inside diameter ( match guides model "M" ). In Houston is not realy winter.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 31, 2012 05:51PM

Your title askes about tip size. At times in the past it wasn't uncommon for the tip to be a size larger. A bit ago I built a rod with size 4 guides. I noticed with slack line a little coil touching the blank right below the tip. It concerned me enough to try a larger tip. I don't quite remember but say I changed fro a 4 tip to a 6 or 8. IMHO it ruined the rod and I put the 4 back on in a NY second.

As to the smallest guide I'd use.....I don't think I have found that answer. For me the limit seems to be more about how small of a guide I can dress and wrap. I doubt I'd use a 4 for 50# mono but it is fine for 20# limp stuff like p-line. For me and my waters, 20# class will catch pretty big fish if I have enough line on the reel.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster