I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip didn't glue
Posted by: Tom Locke (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 04:18PM

Hey all,

I need some help on how to fix this. I used two-part 2ton epoxy for aluminum gimbal and rear grip. I built up the blank for the gimbal with sheetrock tape and it is on there good. The eva grip slid down on the blank just barely touching by the time it got to the gimbal so I figured it would be fine. Problem is when I slid the grip down it squeeged all the epoxy off the blank. The very bottom of the grip by the gimbal is set, but the top 2/3rds of the grip are not glued to the blank. It can turn a little back and forth so I know there is no adhesion.

How do I fix this? Use a needle/drill bit to create a couple of channels in the eva down the blank and then some sort of needle to get some more epoxy down in there?

Help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip didn't glue
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 26, 2012 04:24PM

For starters, this will help you the next time you mount a grip: [www.rodbuilding.org]

In the meantime, unless you're prepared to remove the EVA grip (which I would do if the reel seat has not been installed yet), about all you can do is mix up some liquid type epoxy and with the aid of a mono-jet or similar hobby type syringe, try to inject as much adhesive as you can under the end of the loose grip. Of course, if you can get to that edge, it's likely you haven't installed the seat yet.

It's going to be difficult to get sufficient adhesive on enough of the contact surfaces for this to be any more than a spot repair. So again, if you haven't mounted the seat yet, I'd cut the grip off and install another one, paying attention to the information in the above FAQs.

Date: May 26, 2012 04:29PM

Yup, I was rushing to get the grip on before the epoxy got too tacky since I did the gimbal first and forgot to put it up the blank. The seat is not on yet. It being a holiday weekend, I do not have any extra time to get a new grip. Rod needs to be ready next week. I will see if I can figure out some sort of syringe to get epoxy down in there. Thanks for the help.

Date: May 26, 2012 04:32PM

It may be possible to slide some sort of thin sticks or something to act as spacers, down between the grip and blank, creating enough space to squeeze in some epoxy to a decent depth. Then remove the spacers and allow the grip to re-contact the blank. This should compress the adhesive and any excess will squeeze back out the top.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 04:36PM

You just learned how Not to Do It

It will get easier I ream or buy so when it slides down the blank there is only several inches to go

A lot easier

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 26, 2012 04:58PM

Hi Tom,
I always do what Tom Kirkman has suggested to get a bit more epoxy under the end of grips. I use a couple of thin Tupperware orange peelers to do it. Looks like you've got to get in a lot further than I do but it's worth a try. Thinning epoxy to use in a syringe is a pain and you don't always get good results. You'll need a syringe with the largest diameter needle you can find ( and longest ).
Good luck.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: May 26, 2012 05:29PM

I think part of the problem is the grip slid on nice and easy in test spacing. Then I shrunk the x-flock rubber tubing over the grip. I think it squeezed the thinnest part in the middle of the shaped butt grip just a little. Enough to make it a tighter fit so it squeegeed the epoxy down. I went to my local West Marine and got some epoxy syringes. I can push them a few inches down under the grip. I also got a metal tongue depresser type thing that I will use to push the epoxy even further in. We will see if it works.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 06:52PM

Tom, is it worth the risk? Right now it is only a few lost days and the money for new eva/x-flock. If the customer returns it in a month you could be looking at a lot more time/work/money. Sounds like the eva was too large in diameter to me. Plenty of folks used to use no glue.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 07:35PM

A out door cooker Turkey syringer worked for me not much good after, but the needle was long enought for me if not for you a thin plastic tub supper glued to it, an a wooden bamboo shaft from the kitchen to open it up an a little an slip the needle with the plastic shaft in, use slow cure on the glue an it is messy good luck,, the slower the better

Date: May 26, 2012 07:52PM

I had the tip section from a broken blank that I used to open up some space for the epoxy. The syringe wouldn't pull in much epoxy so I used the tongue depresser thingy to scoop epoxy. I pushed it in the open space and then acted like I was churning butter with the old rod tip and depresser. I think I got a lot of epoxy pretty much as far down as I needed. A couple hours later and it is feeling solid. By the morning I should know for sure.

This is a personal rod for a trip on June 7th. I like to give at least three days from the final coating on the threads before use in saltwater. I am still awaiting some final components that were re-ordered Friday and shipped overnight that will arrive Tuesday. That will give me only a couple of days to wrap and coat so I don't have too much time for ordering new parts. Especially hard to find time between two jobs and family so I had to figure out a fix rather than what I would like to have done, replace.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 09:38PM

Razor blade, cut it off and redo it. This is your custom rod, it will serve you for many years and will always be one of the first that you have done. Do it correctly and it will be nothing but a memory. Try to fix it and you will look at it and cuss yourself every time you use it.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: May 26, 2012 10:32PM

Unfortunately, time just won't allow. I usually build a rod months in advance of when I expect to use it; usually a late Winter project. The blank I wanted to build on was supposed to be ready by the end of February. Ok, plenty of time. Then its release date got pushed back to March. End of March I was told definitely April. End of April told not sure when so I chose another blank. Weeks of deciding on the build and in contact with supplier meant I didn't get the blank until last week and the components a couple of days ago. Waiting any longer just isn't an option as there are no suppliers in my area so I would need items shipped. Even overnight delivery means Wednesday. Thursday to get everything on. Friday and Saturday to wrap. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday for thread finishing. Too close to fishing Thursday in my book.

Or am I wrong? Two days for the finish to set ok before using?

Date: May 26, 2012 10:44PM

I'd want my thread finish to set for at least 3 days before I fish a rod.

Posted by: Tom Locke (63.80.193.---)
Date: May 27, 2012 08:07AM

Nice and solid this morning. No squeeking sound, no movement. I am happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster