I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Muskie Rod
Posted by: Forrest Peters (12.167.12.---)
Date: May 25, 2012 01:39PM

I have a customer that wants a 8' hvy Rod. I picked up a ATX from Mudhole The butt od is.811. He wants cork grips the back he wants at 12" and he wants it to be a baitcaster. Here is my problem The cork grip is 1.25 and when I bore the hole to .881 That leaves .184 to a side. Is that enough cork per side to remain durable? I also measured where the reel seat will go it is .850 ok 20mm and he wants a rod through seat. The only one I found is made by American Tackle and it is not rod through the seat and it seems pretty straight as compared to other reel seats. I know I can mill a window for the rod,but that is just more time and money for the customer. Oh and by the way he does not like EVA grips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Muskie Rod
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2012 02:28PM

Why not use cork tape for the grips?
Either 1/8" or two passes of 1/16" should do fine.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2012 02:32PM

You can also get rings that are 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 " OD

easier to use the cork tape

But if you are care full you can ream out the cork to fit -- Slow and easy does it Sealing the cork also helps so it does not break

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2012 04:38PM

The problem with cork tape is that there is no taper to it. I have built a few muskie rods and you are casting all day long, you want some comfort not just a strait grip. I would go with bigger OD cork, sure it cost more but I am sure he will expect it. You can also try to go with another material, carbon sleeve, synthetic cork or something else.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2012 12:02PM

I never seen 1.75 cork rings? They sell them? Where?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 12:47PM

For many years Angler's Workshop has cataloged an 11 inch larger diameter cork grip, STBG8, that was designed for just your purpose, if I need it longer I just add a few Exotic cork strips, etc. in a nice design and/or add a long buttcap/aluminum fighting butt. They also have a 19 inch grip that is new to the site, but I have no idea of the OD.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 03:45PM

[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 27, 2012 02:07PM

Thanks for the information on the grip. Now does anyone know about a size 20mm bait casting reel seat with a blank window? I have the one from American Tackle but that I will have to mill a window in. Are there anymore out there that I may have over looked?

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: May 27, 2012 03:36PM

Why would he want an exposed blank reel seat? A musky does not have a soft bite and therefore senstivity is not an issue. Plus most guys are using larger round baitcasters for reels such as the Calcutta so there is no need or way to palm the reel.
I would ask these questions before ruining a good reel seat by trying to mill out a window that serves no purpose.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: May 27, 2012 04:43PM

I did ask him and he said he would like to use it as a multi species rod. Besides he does tournments around Wisconsin and I do sponsor him and his guiding service. I just want to impress to get my name on the map.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster