I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power Wrapper and CPXtra
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 25, 2012 01:16PM

Good Morning,
I have two unrelated questions.
First ,I have a Batson Power Wrapper that I have used for several years. I had to replace the rheostat speed control because the speed increased or decreased even while the foot control stays in one position. Literally, the speed increases to the point that my rods jump out of the uprights. I replaced the second rheostat with a dimmer switch. This has not solved the problem either. Eventually I constructed a box to put the foot control in and placed a bracket over the top and used a bolt to apply the pressure on the foot pedal. This way I know the pressure on the pedal remains fixed. I also found that the motor becomes very hot even at rather modest speeds I us to apply finish and CP. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable about these small AC motors to know if the speed of the motor can vary this much or the motor needs replacing. If I leave the wrapper running and leave the room, I will find the rod out of the vertical roller clamps or it will have stopped entirely. If any of you have suggestions for me other than buying a new wrapper, please let me know. Thanks.

Second, I purchased a bottle of the CPXtra (Bullard International) and have wondered if anyone has used this product either just for color retention or as a finish. Since it is a urethane product, I would assume it will be similar to PermaGloss or Lumiseal. If anyone has an info, please let me know. Thank you.

Mike Blomme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Wrapper and CPXtra
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2012 02:01PM

Don't know if you tried -- But call the Batsons and tell them the problems you are having

They will probably do all they can to help

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2012 02:30PM

Obvious answer is to call Batson. They are very helpful. I don't think using a dimmer switch is a good idea. Under certain conditions, it can burn out your motor.

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2012 04:49PM

sounds to me like you used a regular dimmer for lighting application,a big no-no.you need to get a motor control rheostat

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2012 07:31PM

chris stevenson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sounds to me like you used a regular dimmer for
> lighting application,a big no-no.you need to get a
> motor control rheostat.

Yep! And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that your foot pedal is/was the problem from the start.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: May 25, 2012 07:52PM

Hi Ray,
That is an interesting idea. I decided in the beginning that the foot pedal could be eliminated. I'm looking at a router speed control unit, which would eliminate the foot pedal. Thanks for the idea.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 25, 2012 09:53PM

when changing speed controls becarefull as not all speed controlers are equal, some are to run a DC motor an some are for a SCR control motos,r an I am not an expert but I don't think they are all equal just look a little befoer jump it could save you some money
Bill

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.096.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: May 25, 2012 11:33PM

I just built myself a dryer with a syn ac motor from a micro wave oven $3 new on the big @#$%& site works great as a constant 6rm speed dryer.

I also bought a 33 rpm sync ac motor which I had intended using as a wrapper motor with a dimmer switch for a speed control, after some reseach on dimmer switch circuitry I decided against the idea as stated above its a big NO NO it will burn out the motor or worse, from research I found that to get a variable speed motor I'm better off going with a DC motor with a variable resistor coming out of a power invertor it will be much safer as the voltage is dc 12v and the motors are made for it, unfortunatley the 33rpm ac synronious motor is now in the box i reserve for stuff I bought before doing the proper research. ( I need to get a bigger box)

Aviod the dimmer switch approach mate it is seriously dangerous. I also agree with above that its probably a foot pedal issue.

Cheers
Mark

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 11:12AM

Michael,
If you want an excellent speed control, try one from Linemaster Corp:

[www.alliedelec.com]

You can obtain these directly from Linemaster or one of their distributors.

You might also consider replacing the motor, if the motor is really getting hot. It is possible that you have used the motor enough such that the brushes are nearly worn out.

In addition to that, you may also need to replace the triac controller that fits between the ac plug and the unit.

-----------------------
If you want very very good speed control with no heating on the controller or motor, change everything out on your wrapper and go to a DC motor system.

If you want details, drop me an e-mail @
hflier@comcast.net
Basically the system uses a 500-1000 rpm 24 volt dc gear motor. This motor is fed by a motor reversing switch that is fed by the dc voltage from the variable dc power supply. The DC voltage is controlled by
a foot control that is essentially a variable resistor that is moved from the power supply control board to the foot pedal.

It is easy to get rock solid speed of 1-2 rpm in either direction up to the maximum speed of the motor of 500 or 1000 rpm.

Also, when using this variable speed dc motor, you eliminate all of the belt reduction on the power wrapper and use a simple 1:1 belt drive.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 26, 2012 03:54PM

Roger

Knows his stuff E- mail him and he will set you up

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 27, 2012 07:15PM

Thank you all for your comments. They were all helpful. I had not contacted Batson because I have used the wrapper for five years and have had good service with it except for the instability. I did send an e-mail to Batson and they suggested replacing foot pedal and motor.
I did check the dimmer switch and found that what I have is a ceiling fan speed control. I suspect the impedances don't match sine the fan dial becomes useless after turning the dial about 50% of the total distance on the dial. I have found a router speed control, but I am suspicious since they warn that this control is for high start up speed. I will contact Roger Wilson about the DC system. Again, thanks four all of the advice.

Mike Blomme

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster