I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Vintage roller tip-top
Posted by: Jeff Shields (64.129.61.---)
Date: May 22, 2012 03:09PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm finishing up a build and the roller tip-top that I had for it is one size too small. The blank is a 16, so is the tip-top, but the taper on the roller is pretty steep and only fits down about half way. So I need to get a size 18.

I need a vintage NOS, or vintage style roller tip-top in size 18... I could even make a 20 work in a pinch. Anyone have one? I'll be happy to buy one or trade or whatever you want to do.

Thanks so much, Jeff

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.

Shieldski Customs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vintage roller tip-top
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2012 03:27PM

Did you clean off all the finish off the area where the top will go

This some times helps for a good fit

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 22, 2012 03:29PM

I've taken off all I'm willing to at this point and still no-go. Unfortunately it just won't work no matter what I've tried.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2012 04:02PM

It has been standard practice on most heavy duty offshore and trolling rods to grind down the tip of the blank to fit the taper of the top. Although I've never liked this practice and will generally buy a larger top and shim the front section to fit, you can grind the tip back as long as you leave it undisturbed for perhaps the rear 1/2 to 1/3rd.

Or, get that larger tiptop. If you can find one.

Date: May 22, 2012 04:15PM

Thanks Tom,

Unfortunately this really isn't a super heavy duty rod. It is a vintage Penn blank in a kind of mustard color that I found a pair of and I'm building them up to be an homage to some of the classic rods I have on my wall. The roller tip-top is not a must-have but a REALLY want to have to give it the look I want. So I really don't want to grind anything more off the blank than just the paint and that's already been done. I'm on a quest and if I can't find anyone with a stash here I will just continue to hunt @#$%&, etc.

Thanks again, Jeff

Date: May 22, 2012 04:16PM

Just keep in mind that no roller top will ever match the taper of the blank. All roller tops are patterned on a taper that is far steeper than any trolling blank tip.

Date: May 22, 2012 04:18PM

Understood. And my intention will just be to put a couple of tape wraps on the leading edge prior to gluing it up, then my thread wraps and epoxy will take care of the minor gap.

Date: May 22, 2012 04:21PM

What you'll want to do is dispense with the tape. When you find a top large enough to seat fully on your blank, it's going to be oversized at the opening. So you'll have to shim with something (other than tape). At that point, the easiest thing to do is make your tiptop trim wrap extend under the tiptop opening. If you're lucky, D sized thread will even out the taper and provide a good fit for everything.

Date: May 22, 2012 04:22PM

thread would work better on that leading edge other then tape

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 22, 2012 04:24PM

"dispense with the tape"... really?? lol Sorry, I work for 3M so I found that pretty funny.

I hear you Tom. Although I would much rather put a simple 1/4" wrap of tape around the blank to shim the opening as opposed to grinding the blank down to fit. Just personal preference.

Date: May 22, 2012 05:00PM

You'll have to shim at the back end of the top, so any tape there is likely to entertain water. The trim wrap has to go there anyway, so it's just easier to extend it so that it also serves as a shim for the rear of the top.

Date: May 22, 2012 05:06PM

Thread will also give you a better bond with the inner tube surface and the tip of the blank when made in large spaced diamonds

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2012 11:10PM

Jeff, I have two old roller tops with a conical tube that has a 18 opening. They are in good shape but, need to be oiled to free up the roller.If your willing to take a chance I,ll send you one. All I ask is shipping charges if you accept. My e-mail is unhidden.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2012 11:14PM by Dennis Danku.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster