I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

another guide choice query
Posted by: Marc Forrest (---.dialup.mind.net)
Date: May 22, 2012 02:03PM

Greetings once again.

i've added a new blank to my salmon rod arsenal. I received in record time the North Fork Composites salmon G.Loomis back bouncing blank SBB 809-1 (IM) this is the largest of that model.

the matter of sturdy long lasting guides concerns me. previously i have built up the g.loomis GL2 bb964, adding 6" to the butt as i intend to do with this new 809-1 blank since i fish primarily from the bank. On the BB-964 i used fuji titanium sic guides double foot stripper 12, 10 then single foots 8, 7, 6's to total 9 guides. i applied a simple spiral wrap and this blank is light and cast like a dream... however my first season after several large springers in swift water two single foot guides near the top pulled free... i fear the fault was too light a thread because i added the forhan locking wrap to all the single foots. also i noticed the top 5 single foot guides experienced extreme bending (didn't break tho). last week i finally got around to removing and replacing these troublesome single foot guides with small no. 6 fuji sic double foots and i've landed 3 springers since then... no trouble so far.

still i'd rather use the single foot guides on this new and much sturdier blank.

Back Bounce SBB 809-1 (IM) 8' 0" 1 17-40 2-8 Mag Heavy Mod-Fast

i'm now looking at the new AMTACK NIRLVH Titanium NanoLite Virtus Series Heavy Boat Guides maybe the nano lite double foot 12, 10 and 8 for the first three guides.

( i use a very small fuji sic double foot for the transition guide between the stripper and the first 180 degree down guide.)

i would prefer to use single foots for my running guides. i spoke to anglers work shop and they informed me that the new AMTACK single foot titanium guides have a large arrow head design that helps lock the guide to the blank.

I'm asking for advice from anyone who has build up this blank.

what single foots might work for such a blank - AMTACK? - lacking that what are the most bullet proof, light titanium double foot guides to serve as running guides.

these Virtus Ring Lock Guides look promising (i've not yet used them) the idea that they will stand up to salt water is also appealing. the Virtus Series Heavy Boat Guides would only be suitable for the first three guides as i do not believe they make a guide smaller than size 8.

i wouldn't mind using this ultimate loomis back bouncing blank on albacore this august...

as always the dilemma is assembling the many parts; reel seat, etc and getting it all together.

thanks for this outstanding forum.

tws

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: another guide choice query
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 22, 2012 03:18PM

I have been fishing the Rainshadow back bounce XBB964 hrd for years without any problems. I do run the double foots all the way up though. The Alps XTCMXNZG06 weighs in at 4.7 grains or .011 ounces.

XBB964 Spiral Wrap
Rainshadow RX8 Back Bounce/Jig/swim bait 3/4-1.5 ounce

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XBB964-TC 8' 1pc. 12-25 Back Bouncing-Titanium Chrome
Butt Cap: EVABC20 EVA Butt Cap 19.8 mm
Rear Grip: WHTS-12 12" Woven Texalium Silver Handle (1.05" OD / .970" ID)
Rear Grip Cover: Not necessary HST1.18 x 39.4-B Heat Shrink Tube X-Flock 1.18" IDx39.4"-Black
Rear Grip Shims: WBBC+WBEC+WHKA x 4 Woven Bushing Butt Cap+Woven Bushing End Cap+Woven Handle Kit Arbor
Reel Seat : AT16-TC Aluminum Trigger R/S w/o Cushion-TC
Fore Grip: BF5-375 Will need to ream to fit 5" Foregrip .375" I.D. EVA-Black
Fore Grip cover: Not necessary HST1.18 x 39.4-B Heat Shrink Tube X-Flock 1.18" IDx39.4"-Black
Reel Seat Trim Ring: TRS16-TC Trim Ring for Spin Seat size 16 TC
Winding Check: AWCCO443-TC Aluminum Winding Check w/cut out .443 I.D. - TC
Hookeeper: XHKS-S SS316 Hook Keeper Small-Polished
Tip Top: XTCPZT06F06.0 SS316-TICH w/o Chrome Pltd 'P' Tp 06 'Z' Flanged Rg 6.0 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCMXNZG SS316- MXN guide with Z ring-TICH w/o Chrome frame

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XTCMXNZG06 3" 180 degree
2nd XTCMXNZG06 6.5" 180 degree
3rd XTCMXNZG06 10.5" 180 degree
4th XTCMXNZG06 15" 180 degree
5th XTCMXNZG06 19.625" 180 degree
6th XTCMXNZG06 25.625" 180 degree
7th XTCMXNZG06 32" 180 degree
8th XTCMXNZG06 38.375" 170 degree
9th XTCMXNZG06 45.375" 160 degree
10th XTCMXNZG06 51.375" 90 degree
11th XTCMXNZG12 58" 20 degree

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2012 03:32PM

If I am looking at the same new guides you are talking about they only have the heavy duty foot on 3 - 4 rings sizes i went though this

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 22, 2012 03:47PM

You are doing something I didn't think was possible. I have bent guides wrapped with the Forhan locking wrap, I have even cracked a blank or two ... however, simply pulling them loose is something unique. I don't think the guide is to blame in this matter. I use Fuji products and have NO problems with them whatsoever. ALPS guides are also very nice products, they hold up well to saltwater for sure. I wouldn't expect them to do a lick better in your particular situation, however.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2012 11:27AM

As stated above other manufacturer's does make nice product's. As far as American Tackle products that you are considering, below are my thoughts.

You may not want to go with the virtus series heavy but rather the Typhoon series or Virtus light frame series. NIRLS and NIRLVL respectively. They are a lighter frame and more than adequate for your application. You are however correct that neither come in less than a size 8 ring.

At that point you will need to transfer to fly guides with a Forhan locking wrap, but I have to agree with Jim Gamble here that with your given situation, no single foot guide is going to hold up and you will need to find a suitable double footed guide for your application. These are all quality products and to have pulling out with a locking wrap I have never heard of nor been able to duplicate. As a matter of fact, I find it actually difficult to pull out guides even without the Forhan locking wraps.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2012 11:44AM

Hi Marc,

Saw this so I thought I’d chime in. I love fishing longer rods, particularly BB style rods which I use for everything in many different fishing styles and locales. This is most likely from my So Cal days and in fact we originated the 1087, 1088, & 1089’s through Talon/LCI after we got tired of extending Loomis BB blanks. Excellent for Albacore and other SW applications(including your 964).

I see that you are referencing the NIRLVH guides for this project which I am happy they are AT guides but in my opinion they are over-kill for this rod. These guides in particular are routinely used on heavy stand-up rods with lines in the 60-130# range. The NIRLVL’s might be better but I’d probably go with the Typhoon series guides in either titanium or stainless. Titanium is great because it’s light weight and flexible but stainless might be good for this build since they offer a stiffer frame. You might also consider double foot titanium frames all the way out since they are so flexible and light weight.

Good luck on the build and don’t hesitate to contact us is you have any questions. (800) 516-1750.

Darrin Heim
American tackle Company

Date: May 23, 2012 06:26PM

Thanks everyone for your valuable input...

in truth i've never had a problem with the fuji SIC titanium guides double or single foot... i reckon i'll probably stick with them and go double foot all the way for running guides.

thanks again!

marc forrest - tws

Date: May 25, 2012 06:18PM

Thanks Karry

for this detailed information.

i was looking for guide spacing and you component list is also very valuable.

mforrest

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster