I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forhan lock & Fuji KL guides
Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 20, 2012 07:35PM

Can I use the Forhan locking 3 wraps on the Fuji KL guides where the 'Y' of the guide support arms seems to merge with the foot which would make the locking wrap wide and open at the top. I don't have the guides yet and basing this on the pictures in the Fuji manual. I would like to know if anyone has done this wrap on the KL guides & thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forhan lock & Fuji KL guides
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: May 21, 2012 12:14AM

It doesn't really work with these guides. I thought about it and gave up.

Drew

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2012 12:32AM

Dave, I just completed a Lamaglas, 9ft. Super Surf for myself. I used a 30mm double foot K guide as my first guide and all the rest out to the tip were single foot K L's and they all got locking wraps. So, YES you can do a locking wrap on them.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 21, 2012 01:31AM

Hi Dave,
Two different opinions on the same thing, not unusual. I suggest you bind a couple on a piece of scrap blank, one with, one without a Forhan lock. Put some finish on them and you'll know how they turn out in your eye. There should be some more posts that may help you out.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: May 21, 2012 12:33PM

Forhan locking wraps can be used with the Fuji KL guides. The resulting locking wrap is wide and somewhat open at the top but still seems better than no locking wrap.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: May 21, 2012 09:54PM

I tried and could not make it look right. The way the legs rise from the base eliminates the space a locking wrap would use, and the thread would gap on the blank. Post up how you made it work in the pics as I would love to see it.

Drew

Date: May 22, 2012 11:52PM

Drew , I'll get those pics up sometime tomorrow(May,23rd).

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 23, 2012 06:48AM

Try Two Wraps instead of three

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 23, 2012 01:07PM

Drew, Poor quialty photos but I put them up in miscellanious.Oops, I must have botched those uploads cause I dont see e'm.I'll have to try again.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 01:22PM by Dennis Danku.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster