I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glass Fly Blanks - Where to find them? (or moderate graphite)
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 20, 2012 12:36PM

Where would you look for glass fly blanks - prefer something nicer.

True moderate graphite blanks would be OK too - but they'd have to really be on the softer side.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2012 01:01PM by Marc Morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glass Fly Blanks - Where to find them? (or moderate graphite)
Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2012 01:39PM

I can give you two that I know for sure. One is Scott fly rods have a newer line of all glass that are impressive and Talon graphite still make IM-6plus fly rods that are a moderate action. I'm sure there are others!! I'm surprised that other company's have not jumped into at least a small offereing of glass fly. There seems to be a call for them!!

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2012 02:24PM

There are more than a few that offer blanks in fiberglass, both S and E glass. Here are a few that come to mind, sorry if I miss anyone. Lamiglas, Seeker, South Fork Rod Company, Steffen Bros, CTS, McFarland, Thomas & Thomas, and Tom Morgan.

In the softer side of graphite Anglers Workshop has the Chalkstream Series, CTS has the Vintage Series, Mud Hole might still be offering the Orvis Far and Fine series(might be called something different now), Steffen Bros (all their graphite is full flex), CF Burkheimer has the DLA Series (he is also rolling Tom Morgans glass blanks), McFarland too has some very soft graphite blanks. I'm sure their are more.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2012 03:08PM

Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum is a great place to start your search.

[fiberglassflyrodders.com]

Through that site I learned of some excellent fiberglass blanks being created today.
They're both light in weight and can be found in a variety of actions.
I personally like slower action blanks which are similar to bamboo.

My favorite is Kabuto Rods in Japan.
I once inquired about purchasing a blank from Mr. Kabuto.
I was quoted $150 which seemed quite reasonable.
While I didn't buy it then I still may get one in the future.
I particularly like his translucent blanks.

[kabutorods.com]

Closer to home there is Glenn McFarland who purchased all the fiberglass blank making equipment from Diamondback.
I met him at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum last summer.
I had a chance to cast one of his rods and was quite impressed with it.

[mcfarlandrods.com]

Although his site doesn't say it I believe he was willing to sell blanks to rod builders.

And then there is the master.. Tom Morgan... who designed blanks for Winston for many years.
He is bringing out a line of fiberglass rods and blanks.
These are surely worth looking into even at the premium price point one would expect.

[www.troutrods.com]

I think you'll find yourself quite pleased by variety of high quality fiberglass blanks available today.

Good luck in your search,

David

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: May 22, 2012 06:27AM

Don't forget
Kettle creek fiberglass rods

and I'm not sure if they ar still around and making glass but I picked up a blank recently from
T.L. Johnson Rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster