I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

good spray paint for rods
Posted by: marc trejo (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: May 18, 2012 10:50PM

Hello Rod builders I actually have 2 questions. (1) what is a good spray paint for rods? Mud hole shows " custom rod builders spray paint" it looks a lot like krylon fusion is that it? And question #2 has any one ever wrapped there rod but with the twine mud hole shows along with the new turks knot and if so what's a good way to seal it? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: good spray paint for rods
Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 19, 2012 01:43AM

marc trejo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Rod builders I actually have 2 questions.
> (1) what is a good spray paint for rods? Mud hole
> shows " custom rod builders spray paint" it looks
> a lot like krylon fusion is that it? And question
> #2 has any one ever wrapped there rod but with the
> twine mud hole shows along with the new turks knot
> and if so what's a good way to seal it? Thanks

I have the equipment to spray true automotive paint, so I typically don't use any spray bombs. I however have on occasion used a spray primer made by Sems. The stuff is the closest that I have found to a true auto grade primer in a can. They also carry color and clear in spray bomb form made by Sems.

There is another company that I am not familiar with which sells a 2 part clear in a can. Its a pretty crazy setup as there is a button you strike on the bottom which opens an internal reservoir with cataliest. Once it opens and the 2 parts mix you have 2 part clear in spray bomb form. Its supposed to be good stuff but I have not used it. Just seen it at the paint shop

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 19, 2012 04:49AM

Hi Marc,
I get the local panel beater to do mine with two pack polyurethane which has flex additives and so far it has held up really well. It's toxic stuff so if you are going to do it yourself make sure you do some reading about it and take the proper precautions.
The twine sounds like it would be too thick for guide wraps and would add too much weight near the tip. It is used mainly for decorative grips. Don't know what they finish it with.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 19, 2012 08:33AM

I use the Dupli Color auto match paint Thin three coats and let sit several days and it drys hard I then coat with a thin coat of clear

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2012 11:22AM

If you don't have access to the automotive stuff, Krylon Fusion is a pretty good alternative. It's made for plastic lawn furniture so the adhesion and flex properties are good. Be patient and do a couple of light coats and don't overspray. Same instruction as with any other spray paint product.

Terry

Date: May 20, 2012 11:58AM

here is a clear that is very similar to 2 K clears And can be thinned with a Fast- Med - and slow reducer you can get from the site
[www.klasskote.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 20, 2012 12:36PM

I have used Krylon Fusion and Plasticote with great results. The trick is to apply mutliple LIGHT coats ... don't try to cover 100% on each pass. 75-80% is more than adequate and about the right coverage for good final results after 3-4 light coats.

Posted by: Craig Mullins (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: May 20, 2012 12:49PM

I'm just completing my first rod, and used the Krylon Fusion. I went through 2 cans of the stuff though because I had to start from scratch after trying to protect the paint with Permagloss. lol
P.S. Don't do that...it will eat the paint up!

Sure did learn a ton on the build, and looking forward to the next.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 20, 2012 12:54PM

Use Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Gloss.

Posted by: Craig Mullins (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: May 20, 2012 01:03PM

I'll try it out next time. Thanks

Posted by: marc trejo (---.ptr.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 20, 2012 03:26PM

Thanks a lot really appreciate all the sugestions. I fills good to go to a forum and get good advice instead of smart *** comments. Thanks a lot. I used an automotive spary paint came out pretty good. I just like a variety of colors.

Date: May 20, 2012 05:23PM

The Dupli Color is more of a Lacquer and thus dries fast

The Fusion is more of a Enamel Thick and has to site for at least a week and more to cure

I have used it and that is why I like the DupliColor

The Klass Kote is also not hot like the Permagloss

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2012 05:26PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster