I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9ft 8wt cold weather guide sizing choice
Posted by: Bill Hansen (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2012 06:14PM

Was hoping some of you more experienced guys could lend a hand. I am building a 9ft 8wt fly rod for a friends father. He is looking to use it on trips. He will be fishing cold weather (Alaska) to warm weather (local saltwater). I was thinking of using oversized guides so they would be less resistant to freezing.

I am using double foot strippers and double foot snake guides for the build.

After looking at some other resources I have calculated that the normal sized guides for this rod should be 20-16-4-4-4-2-2-2-1-1 with a 4 or 4.5 tip top. (He wants to two larger stripping guides so it is similar to the TFO rods)

Will I see any benefit from increasing the guide sizes? If so what sizes should I use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9ft 8wt cold weather guide sizing choice
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2012 06:18PM

Okay, for starters you do not need all those guide sizes. They create a stair-step line path and add slight additional weight that helps nothing.

If you already know that your line and required connections will pass through a #1 guide, then just go 20 - 12 and then all 1's to the tiptop. This provides a much straighter and smoother line path.

If freezing is a consideration you'll want to go larger than the 1's most likely. I'd stay at least with #2's as the smallest size. Snake guides are also a bit less resistant to freezing up due to their shape.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2012 09:05PM

for my steelhead (winter rod) I use 16, 12, 6, 5's up to the xl top. should work for you as well.

Eric

Posted by: Bill Hansen (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2012 11:04PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, for starters you do not need all those guide
> sizes. They create a stair-step line path and add
> slight additional weight that helps nothing.
>
> If you already know that your line and required
> connections will pass through a #1 guide, then
> just go 20 - 12 and then all 1's to the tiptop.
> This provides a much straighter and smoother line
> path.
>
> If freezing is a consideration you'll want to go
> larger than the 1's most likely. I'd stay at least
> with #2's as the smallest size. Snake guides are
> also a bit less resistant to freezing up due to
> their shape.
>
> ...................

I was originally going to go 20-16-6 then 4's to the tip. Anyone think this would be ok? If so would the spacing be the same as if I was using the smaller diameter guides?

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: May 17, 2012 02:02AM

Bill Hansen Wrote:

>
> I was originally going to go 20-16-6 then 4's to
> the tip. Anyone think this would be ok? If so
> would the spacing be the same as if I was using
> the smaller diameter guides?

Should work but it will look funny. How about 16,12, 4s or 20, 16,12, 4s? Keep the running guides all the same, 4s are big but maybe appropriate for icing conditions. The guide spacing would not be changed by the physical size of the guides.

I have a TFO 8wt factory rod and it's 20, 16, 12, + runners, ie there are 3 stripping guides on the rod. Not really needed but not harmful either.

Drew

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: May 17, 2012 07:42AM

Yup, I'd go 20, 16, 12 if I needed the 20. In any case I'd be more comfortable making all the rest of the guides # 4's, or # 3's at the smallest. A flexible guide like the Rec recoils might be smart depending on how he clears the guides of ice.

Other half, and perhaps the larger half, is his local salt water use. Tell us more about that.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Stephen Gruber (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2012 08:36AM

What time of year is he going to be fishing in Alaska? Icing up may not be an issue...

Posted by: Bill Hansen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 17, 2012 09:50AM

The saltwater fishing is in Long Island Sound for Blues and Stripers. He wants the rod to be versatile so he can use it on trips all over, the main reason it is a 4 piece. The icing may not be an issue in Alaska but it may be for steelhead depending on when and where he goes. I appreciate all of the help. I havent built many rods and am still getting a grasp on the guide sizing and spacing.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2012 10:34AM

This might be of some help:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2012 01:36PM

16, 12, 10, then 4's to the tip. You could even drop the 10 and replace it with another 4. No real advantage with the 3rd stripper. Use an extra large loop for the tip top. 4's should give you ample spacing for icing issues. I use 4's as running guides for all my spey rods. Since salt use is expected, I would use recoil double foot snake guides (heavier size). Should work great.

Terry

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2012 01:36PM

16, 12, 10, then 4's to the tip. You could even drop the 10 and replace it with another 4. No real advantage with the 3rd stripper. Use an extra large loop for the tip top. 4's should give you ample spacing for icing issues. I use 4's as running guides for all my spey rods. Since salt use is expected, I would use recoil double foot snake guides (heavier size). Should work great.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster