I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Small Trout Rod
Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 15, 2012 04:51PM

I recently gave away a nice 4'6" Browning spinning rod to a friends son. I want to replace it with a build. I am looking for some blank suggestions. My critieria is that I want the same small size, as light as I can get away with for 3 to 4lb Brook trout. I had a quick look on Mudhole but didn't see much except a one St. Croix blank. I already have several St.Croix blanks and I like them but am always looking to build rods with different makers to feel the differences they offer myself.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me. I like my ultra light rods to provide me a sense they are being use to their maximum limits. Again I am not looking to break the bank on this blank I use it twice a year.

Thanks

Steve Lynas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 04:54PM by Steve Lynas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Small Trout Rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 05:12PM

You can try these i have had a 5 1/2' St Croix UL and found it to stiff for very light bates I had to add weight
If you have the space and can go longer i would suggest 6'6 or 7'
[www.mudhole.com]

have not tried any yet They read Fast ???

Even a fly blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2012 05:26PM

If it were me, I'd try a much longer rod. The longer the rod, the more leverage you give the fish. Try it - you might find you really like it.

Posted by: Dane Newman (---.wehi.edu.au)
Date: May 15, 2012 05:32PM

Check out the Phenix Elixir range. I don't think blanks get any smaller or lighter. Great blanks and pretty much tick every box you've listed.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 05:33PM

"3 to 4 lb. brook trout?" The shipping costs to wherever you live (or fish) must be immense.

Date: May 15, 2012 05:38PM

there are also 2 pc Cut on the shipping costs

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 05:45PM

I own a LOT of rods and my favorite for trout fishing ... Forecast SB720-4. It is a 6'0", 4-piece pack rod. VERY handy for travel, hike-ins, etc.

Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 15, 2012 05:52PM

I guide in Northern Quebec, Canada but live in Toronto. The resort I guide at are known for a their particular strain of Brooke trout specific to that area's lake. They routinely get to be 3 to 4lbs with records getting into the 7lb range. I am fishing off the beaten path where bush constantly gets longer poles hung up during hike ins and walks along stream sides. The streams are small and the bush/trees are dense making casting longer poles a chore. I know it is not an ideal situation for a trout pole but I just find these small ultralights easy to move around with the gorilla style fishing I do at this Resort. Multiple piece poles are an option but once I set up I just like to move around without having to break the set up down and then re-set it up every time I come across another nice spot on the stream.

P.S. When you live in Canada shipping is always an issue along with duty, taxes and whole host of other additionbal costs. I have not been able to find a Canadian retailer of rod building suppiles. The only one I dealt with went out of business many years ago.

steve

Steve Lynas

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 05:59PM by Steve Lynas.

Date: May 15, 2012 05:59PM

maybe this will help

[search.yahoo.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 06:23PM

Steve -

Unless her policies have changed, Karen @ Bingham will ship to Canada AND the postage on a multi-piece rod will be considerably lower. She is also a full-line Batson dealer. I really enjoy my little pack rods, you should definitely consider it ... especially since you mentioned the hike-ins, that's where these little pack rods become worth their weight in gold. I carry a pair of them in a small tube, along with lures, etc. and put them into a pack ... nothing in my hands while getting to/from the water. I couldn't be any happier with the product. I have owned them for several years and they have endured many fish in many waters without letting me down.

Jim -

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (70.97.195.---)
Date: May 15, 2012 06:59PM

HI STEVE...MIDWEST ROD AND REEL WILL SHIP TO CANADA...SHIPPING ON MULTI PCS RODS ARE NOT TO BAD COST WISE...WE ARE A FULL LINE BATSON DEALER...DROP ME A E-MAIL WITH WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AND I'LL SEND YOUI THE PRICES AND SHIPPING COST

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Stephen Gruber (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2012 09:04PM

I just built out a St. Croix AS46ULM for a friend and he loves it. If you're interested in a different manufacturer, I would recommend trying Batson. I have used both the IS600 and the SP600 for builds that I intended for myself. Went fishing with friends who borrowed the rods and I no longer own them.

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 09:40PM

definitely would go with at least 6' 6" for small trout ... cant build enough of the Batson Forecast RX6 4 pieces' ...work great with brookies up in the canyons and wont cost you your first-born either.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: May 16, 2012 09:53AM

On the subject of Canadian Retailers, I use Rodbuilder Supplies out of Victoria, and Angling Specialties in Toronto has a supply of rod building components.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 16, 2012 10:26AM

Steve, sounds like the environment is a chilly version of the nasty stuff around the oxbows off the Miss Delta and Talahatchie rivers.
A shorter rod will sometimes allow you to fish otherwise unfishable waters.
Try an IM6 in 561L ( maybe a little light) or 601L from CRB at Mudhole or the Amtack equivalents. I think they even have the same model number in Amtack.
Ignore the rating for lures on the 601l it has to be a printing error.
The blank will happily load and throw 1/16 oz lure to bream but also a 1/2 oz jig with bullminnow on for flounder in the gulf.
Tough blanks: i have over 12 in cutomers hands fishing all kinds of terrain and only ever 1 break . Plus at around $20 in any color you could dream of you can afford to add shipping etc without it breaking the bank.

Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: May 16, 2012 07:03PM

Steve here is my rod building supplier: [www.freewebs.com] . He carries a LOT of stuff, website is out of date but drop him an email. He usually has some good sales and discontinued stuff cheap.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: May 17, 2012 06:01AM

MHX s6010, you could always trim a few inches off the butt if you needed it to be shorter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster