I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Abolone help
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: May 15, 2012 11:28AM

Hey I tried my very first attempt at applying a piece of the micro flex abalone. I also had my frist experience at removing a piece of micro flex abalone. Well lets just say it goes on way easier than it comes off. Jesus that stuff is sticky.

Anyways I used the masking tape method that I thought was fool proof. Well apparently its not as my piece was not anywhere near the size I needed. I had a pretty large gap which I thought was unacceptable.

Any hints to cutting the stuff to the correct size?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abolone help
Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-220-138.myvzw.com)
Date: May 15, 2012 11:54AM

I'm with you Casey!! I have used abalone and I am sure the layout by setting it up with masking tape as shown by Mud Hole workss but I must be doing something wrong as I too come up short. I have been putting it on the blank and over wrapping it and tapping it in place and carefully cutting along the overwrap. It is working OK. I also use some snakeskin and don't like to waste that due to the cost. I too will be interested in this thread as I know most of my problem must be operator error.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 12:04PM

Perhaps when you put the tape on you put it on tightly and stretched it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 15, 2012 12:08PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps when you put the tape on you put it on
> tightly and stretched it

I guess anything is possibly, however its normal masking tape. I dont think it would stretch all that much.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2012 12:09PM

If you read Kevin's article in RodMaker, you'll note that he specifically states that to get the best results you want to cut the veneer 3/8th-inch longer than the tape measurement. He explains why you need to do this but in any event, this will take care of that "gap."

Date: May 15, 2012 02:08PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> If you read Kevin's article in RodMaker, you'll
> note that he specifically states that to get the
> best results you want to cut the veneer 3/8th-inch
> longer than the tape measurement. He explains why
> you need to do this but in any event, this will
> take care of that "gap."
>
> ..............

Good to know.... Thanks a bunch

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 03:58PM

Following Kevin's instructions, I've applied the TACHY/MOP abalone using the 3/8" overlay and I'm gonna tell you that after a couple nice coats of epoxy, you can't feel it and unless you're looking for it you won't see it either. I think the masking tape measuring plan fails because the abalone doesn't wrap around the blank quite as cleanly as the tape does. While Mudhole's presentation is pretty good, it doesn't go too far in showing the finished product at the seam...I suspect there is a slight gap in theirs as well.

Clyde

Posted by: Rick Ballard (209.60.72.---)
Date: May 15, 2012 04:07PM

I read Kevin's article in rod maker and had no trouble at all getting a nice result.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: May 15, 2012 04:27PM

The Abalone is thicker than the tape, thus it's further from the center and therefore must be slightly longer than the tape to cover the same distance. Kevin mentioned this in the article. Internet tutorials are nice but will never match the articles in the mag.

Date: May 15, 2012 05:04PM

So if the tape is wrapped over itself and made as thick as the decal or whatever it is used to measure -- it should be the same size - No ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 05:12PM

i'm glad tom mentioned the article,as for getting it off ,i got to see kevin actually do it in person.what he does is take a single edge razor and bend it to kinda match the rod arch,then he carefully cuts it off,working towards the seat.and thats all there is to it

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Date: May 16, 2012 08:35AM

chris stevenson Wrote:
> i'm glad tom mentioned the article,as for getting
> it off ,i got to see kevin actually do it in
> person.what he does is take a single edge razor
> and bend it to kinda match the rod arch,then he
> carefully cuts it off,working towards the seat.and
> thats all there is to it

Ohhh let me tell you thats not all there is to it.... I removed the stuff using the same method. What you are left with is a thick goofy substance that is extremly sticky. I ended up removing the remants with some adheasion remover.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 16, 2012 09:23AM

Guys, this isn't as hard as its made out to be. I also second the whole video thing. I get calls and emails weekly with complaints that they "saw 1 method or another on youtube and they are left with a mess".

Back to geometry class here. With a circle (rod blank cross section), the further away from the center of a circle that you get, the larger the Outside diameter. Therefor, making the cut 3/8" longer will address that difference in outside diameter. Making the tape as thick as the veneer will NOT address this issue because the first wrap of tape is still at the smaller diameter which is the true outside diameter of the veneer. Many want the two edges to match perfectly and I see absolutely no reason for this. Ou veneer is .005mm thick and the overlap is not noticeable. Either way you do it, there will be a seam, so just overlap it and move on. If you try to seam it flush, inevitably you will cut too much off in one spot or another and have a gap.

If you in fact need to remove the veneer, simply bend a single edge razor and bend it to give you a curve to match or close to the curve of the blank. Shave it and remove it. If you are applying another piece of veneer to the same spot, you are not obligated to remove the adhesive remnants fully. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If you want to remove it fully, don't use any DNA or cleaners as that makes a goopy mess. Simply rub your thumb over it and it will roll up and then pick it off.

There are differences in the mechanics and construction of our Tachy Mop veneer that I sell vs others. I have proprietary cuts and other things that are done for only me. Since I have done all of the research in getting this to be more user friendly and therefor, some trade secrets are kept to me and the veneer. if you want to apply this veneer, get the article that I did last October and your results will be perfect!

www.anglersenvy.com/veneer-gallery

Any questions, please email me at kknox@anglersenvy.com

Kevin

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: May 16, 2012 02:40PM

kevin knox Wrote:
> Guys, this isn't as hard as its made out to be. I
> also second the whole video thing. I get calls
> and emails weekly with complaints that they "saw 1
> method or another on youtube and they are left
> with a mess".
>
> Back to geometry class here. With a circle (rod
> blank cross section), the further away from the
> center of a circle that you get, the larger the
> Outside diameter. Therefor, making the cut 3/8"
> longer will address that difference in outside
> diameter. Making the tape as thick as the veneer
> will NOT address this issue because the first wrap
> of tape is still at the smaller diameter which is
> the true outside diameter of the veneer. Many
> want the two edges to match perfectly and I see
> absolutely no reason for this. Ou veneer is
> .005mm thick and the overlap is not noticeable.
> Either way you do it, there will be a seam, so
> just overlap it and move on. If you try to seam
> it flush, inevitably you will cut too much off in
> one spot or another and have a gap.
>
> If you in fact need to remove the veneer, simply
> bend a single edge razor and bend it to give you a
> curve to match or close to the curve of the blank.
> Shave it and remove it. If you are applying
> another piece of veneer to the same spot, you are
> not obligated to remove the adhesive remnants
> fully. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If you
> want to remove it fully, don't use any DNA or
> cleaners as that makes a goopy mess. Simply rub
> your thumb over it and it will roll up and then
> pick it off.
>
> There are differences in the mechanics and
> construction of our Tachy Mop veneer that I sell
> vs others. I have proprietary cuts and other
> things that are done for only me. Since I have
> done all of the research in getting this to be
> more user friendly and therefor, some trade
> secrets are kept to me and the veneer. if you
> want to apply this veneer, get the article that I
> did last October and your results will be perfect!
>
>
> www.anglersenvy.com/veneer-gallery
>
> Any questions, please email me at
> kknox@anglersenvy.com
>
> Kevin

I think you lost me on the whole 3/8" longer cut. If you use tape, or whatever like sized material to wrap around a rod blank then transfer that "size" to the abalone you should have a piece which is very close to the same size as the blank. The difference in thickness between the tape and abalone is insiginificant enough that there should be no need to cut 3/8" longer.

I dont think there is a way to make a truly seemless application as the ends will never but up perfectly. Im thinking maybe the reason mine didnt turn out was due to stretching the tape around the blank. Then when I pulled it off it it shrank, which caused the piece to be too small.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: May 16, 2012 02:44PM

And yet if you always cut the Abalone 3/8" longer than the tape measurement, the problem goes away!

Date: May 16, 2012 03:00PM

Yes im sure it would.. Im guessing its overlapped at that point though... Or at least mine would have been.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 16, 2012 03:26PM

It overlaps,so what?? It's so thin that after applying a couple coats of finish, it's smooth and the seam is BARELY noticeable
. Looks a LOT better than a seam with gaps in it. If you've ever seen Kevin's work, you'd be a believer. He's been working with the stuff longer than anyone out there and is continuously working to improve the technique.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 16, 2012 04:02PM

i second what mike said,if apllied correctly the seam is barely noticable and in som applications can enhance the installation,i did forget to mention that when i measure out my pieces i use a small cloth-like tape that a seamstress or tailor would use,just so happens it's a good match.found this item in the little emergency repair kits at walgreens

Date: May 16, 2012 04:12PM

If laying the tape on the Face of the decal does not work because it is thinner -- what if it was taped on the inside and then cut on the inside ??

Just my 1 3/4 cents

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 16, 2012 04:33PM

chris stevenson Wrote:
> i second what mike said,if apllied correctly the
> seam is barely noticable and in som applications
> can enhance the installation,i did forget to
> mention that when i measure out my pieces i use a
> small cloth-like tape that a seamstress or tailor
> would use,just so happens it's a good match.found
> this item in the little emergency repair kits at
> walgreens

I will have to try overlapping and see how that works out. The stuff I worked with just seemed like it was too thick and I envisioned the edges pulling up slightly when epoxy was applied.

I also thought about using one of those little tape measures.. I just gotta find one.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster