I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

replacing guides and tip tops
Posted by: Chris Terrill (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 09:01PM

What is the going price to charge for replacing guides and tip tops?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: replacing guides and tip tops
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 09:44PM

Around 10 dollars per plus the price of the guides.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 11:50PM

I believe that there were articles in past issues of RM that addressed this issue.

Posted by: David Dosser (12.176.13.---)
Date: May 15, 2012 12:02AM

I do it as a hobby so my prices are probably a little different than others. I replace a guide for $8 plus the cost of the guide and a tip for $6 plus the guide.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2012 03:47AM

I doit for thr cost of the guide with hopes they will come to see me when they need a new rod.

I have only done a few so I`m really not out very much money.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: May 15, 2012 08:18AM

And since you gave them the freebie, when and if they come in for a new rod, do you think you will get what the rod is worth?

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2012 10:45AM

For me, I charge $5 for tip tops plus the guide price and $10/guide plus material cost for the rest. I re-wrapped a surf rod recently for a guy. He got a quote of $80 from another shop and came to me for another estimate. I told him if he removed all the guides first, I would replace and re-wrap for less as that's the biggest part of the work and is simply labor time. When he got the rod back, he was so happy with the result he paid me $85. Most people don't realize the work and care needed to remove old guides, wraps and epoxy without damaging the blank.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.90.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: May 16, 2012 01:13PM

That is so true Terry, they don't realize the work involved. i remember a guy once giving me a rod at the weekend asking to have 6 or 7 guides removed, new ones fitted, and if i could also refinish the blank and possibly have the rod ready for collection on monday? You're joking! i told him, no chance! He said something like, well you don't have to be to fussy, long as the guides are on and i put at least one coat of finish on the wraps. Again, i said i'm sorry, you might not be to fussy, but i certainly am and i don't do bodge jobs like that, i've my reputation to think of.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 16, 2012 02:00PM

The weekend is for fishin

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 16, 2012 06:28PM

I'm with Terry and Steve on that. People want stuff done for basically nothing yet those same people go into shops etc and pay exorbitant prices for goods and don't bat an eyelid. Takes the best part of a day to strip a rod properly and how many people are prepared to pay around $100 for the job!!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 16, 2012 06:38PM

That is why they go around and get estimates on pricing to do a gob

And there are toooooo many NewBees just to get work giving cheap prices

which screws us all I hit them with a price and know they are not coming back

You can only give a low price --- so fare

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 16, 2012 07:57PM

Hi Bill,
I'm afraid that's probably always going to be the case. That's one reason why I've got no desire to get into building full time. I prefer to do it when it's suits me. I don't think I'd like to be building to a schedule as that would take all the fun out of it. Good luck to all those that can make a reasonable living from it as it's far from easy.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.90.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: May 16, 2012 08:43PM

Col Chaseling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm with Terry and Steve on that. People want
> stuff done for basically nothing yet those same
> people go into shops etc and pay exorbitant prices
> for goods and don't bat an eyelid. Takes the best
> part of a day to strip a rod properly and how many
> people are prepared to pay around $100 for the
> job!!!

Hi, Col, you're so right! i've had guys who have thought nothing of paying £250 - £300 for zziplex blanks, fuji reel seats, fuji guides, all the parts to build the rod, but when you quote them a price, they say things like that's a bit steep! when i was first starting out, after some have said remarks like that, i used to lower the price just to get the work. Not anymore i don't. If they can afford to lay out that kind of cash on a rod, they can certainly afford to pay me what i'm worth! Then i get customers who have brought me cheap and cheerful factory rods to be rebuilt, and i have told them i'm afraid for what i'm going to have to charge you, you'd be better off buying a new one, some have gone for that option, and some have said things like; i don't care, i want it done cos this is my favourite rod.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster