I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repaired rod- will it hold?
Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 06:40PM

I recently broke my favorite fishing rod. I got the blank replaced, but I had a lot of time and work in this rod, and thought I'd try to salvage it. I posted a photo series in the miscellaneous section at:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Maybe it will help someone else if it works. I'd like to hear from some of you who have repaired rods what you think. It looks great, and doesn't seem to affect the action. I guess the first big redfish will be the test. My biggest concern is whether the plug was too big or too small, or whether it will even hold right in the power section of the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repaired rod- will it hold?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 06:56PM

Your "plug inside a plug" idea was probably the worst way of making the connecting piece for the repair. The rod should flex through the repaired area and if you make the repair so stiff it can't flex you end up creating "high stress" points both above and below the original break.

See Ralph O'quinn's rod repair article in the library section of this forum...(black button above)

The rod could hold up fine and give you lots more use. I hope it does.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: May 14, 2012 07:23PM

Yeah, I wondered about that Raymond. But I worried the single plug would be a smaller diameter and thus weaker than the original rod, and then it would just re-break at the plug. For that reason I tried to make it fairly short, to flex more with the rod. Thanks for the advice and good wishes.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2012 07:46PM

The tendency when repairing a break is to make the repaired area too strong/stiff, which often results in a break at the end of the repair plug or sleeve. In your case, only time will tell.

The underwrap over the repair is not a bad idea, since you have fibers that could lift without it. The Metal Set type paste epoxy isn't the best choice in this case, but it should be okay. A gel product would have been more ideal.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 08:48PM

Rich,
I would have felt a lot more comfortable with the repair if you had put an over sleeve on the rod - in additon to the plug. No real reason to add the extra plug inside the inner plug.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 11:17PM

Would you so kind as to describe, in detail, how it managed to break? I think I have the same blank. I have been considering extending it and wondered just how far I could push it. It would seem you have determined that. You might save me from the same fate.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: May 14, 2012 11:21PM

Thanks fellas, good information. Hopefully it'll hold up for awhile, at least untill I get the new blank built up. It seems that it takes a lot of pressure just to put any kind of pressure that far down in the blank, so I'll just have to see. Either way, lesson learned. At least it gets a chance at a new life.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 08:38AM

I hope you called St Croix

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 10:38AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope you called St Croix

Why is that Bill?

Date: May 15, 2012 11:08AM

because you may have gotten a new blank ??

That is the first thing I tell anyone who calls with a broken rod

Most - if not all - companies or suppliers will do some thing

What were you doing when it broke

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 11:19AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 11:34AM

"I recently broke my favorite fishing rod. I got the blank replaced"

The first sentence stated that he already has a new blank, I'd doubt that he'd send it in a second time to have it replaced if it breaks again.

Date: May 15, 2012 12:34PM

I did not and he did not say weather he got it from St Croix or went and bought a new blank from a supplier

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 15, 2012 09:14PM

The rod broke setting the hook on a redfish. Very strange. Some kind of blemish, flaw, or damage to the blank I guess. I've never seen a rod break where it did, right in the power section. I've never had one break on a hookset either. I sent it (with a letter of explanation) to the St. Croix warranty dept. with a check for the handling fee, they sent a new blank back with the original in a week. And no, if it breaks again I won't send it back.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 19, 2012 08:55PM

I am going to against everything most stated here.

I think that far down the rod, your repair isnt going to matter too much as long as you didnt make it like a foot long plug. While I do agree that a gel type epoxy would have been the better choice, a 3-4" plug down that far on the blank should be just fine since its not an area that will bend much even when it does flex. Personally I think you'll be ok.

Date: May 20, 2012 09:06PM

Caught a 25" redfish on it today and half a dozen rats. Holding up fine so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster