I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

possible problem with mfg.
Posted by: Bernie Wojtasik (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: May 14, 2012 04:47PM

I had bought a supply of epoxy and other goods all made by the same mgf. from a dealer. Shortly after that I ran into problems with a portion of the epoxy and contacted the dealer to see about a replacement. They said to contact the mfg. as they were no longer dealing with her products or could not get them any longer or something. I have spent the better part of three weeks making phone calls and sending E-mails to this mfg. but have yet to receive a single response. I know the E-mail is good because they are not bouncing back. The phone message still has her recording so it has not been disconnected. If this was just a few dollars worth of product I would not waste any time on it but it amounts to what for me is a significant investment. I have heard all sorts of rumors about legal troubles forcing this mfg. out of business or bankruptcy, etcetera. I have not seen anything like that appear in public so I wrote it off to just being rumors. But I cannot get any direct communication going so I have begun to wonder whats up. Do any of you know any way to find out if a mfg. or company is still in business? Do any states maintain a contact listing of businesses that are operational? Not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: possible problem with mfg.
Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: May 14, 2012 06:25PM

You might generically explain the problem and I'd bet that someone will have a solution if possible. If it's crystallized epoxy you can microwave it to a liquid form.

Posted by: Stephen Gruber (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2012 06:42PM

A good place to start finding out business info your state's Secretary of State office.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 06:43PM

You can try the Small Business Administration www.sba.gov and or the Better Business Bureau

If you know the city & state the business is located in, try that areas business resourses.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: May 14, 2012 06:46PM

A good place to start finding out business info your state's Secretary of State office.

Date: May 14, 2012 06:46PM

Posted by: Bernie Wojtasik (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: May 14, 2012 07:43PM

The problem is a lot more than just crystalized resin! I did consult with the BBB and was told that they had no information for the company on file so they had either shut down or were never legally registered as a business in that state to begin with. I was going to call my credit card company and see if they would reverse the charges but that would only penalize the dealer I bought from, not the mfg. who supplied the faulty product.

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 12:02AM

I can't imagine that any of our sponsor dealers would not accept a return of the products if the time span involved is reasonable. I have dealt with most of them and they have all been more than willing to stand by what they sell.

Clyde

Posted by: David Dosser (12.176.13.---)
Date: May 15, 2012 12:06AM

Is that particular mfg. one of our sponsors?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 07:29AM

If you bought a car from any dealership, you would nit be told to go back to the manufacturer to deal with warranty issues.

Dispute the charge on your card, or call the distributor and tell them that they need to give you an RGA number and have them replace it with another brand. Simple as that.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: May 15, 2012 07:29AM

I do not think so. They are not listed in the sponsor column.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: May 15, 2012 09:58AM

Most manufacturers specifically state that you return defective product to them, not the dealer where you bought it. Cars are a little different as it's hard to ship something the size of a car. That's why those manufacturers provide warranty service through their dealer networks. Most products are not like this though.

If the manufacturer is out of business then you are either stuck or you can try to work something out with the dealer. Make sure you don't have a simple problem like crystalized resin or yellowed hardener. You can reflow the resin with some minor heat from a few seconds in the microwave. Yellowed hardener doesn't look good but is never as bad as you think once you put it on the rod. It will work fine.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 05:56PM

Bernie, what exactly is the problem?

jeremy

Date: May 15, 2012 07:53PM

There is some sort of funky thin plastic film all through each of the hardener bottles. Almost like thin sheet plastic or Saran wrap. It is a gooey mess. There are four large kits so we are not talking about a few dollars, but almost $100 in product. The dealer contacted me today and has asked me to return it and agreed to replace it with product from another manufacturer.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2012 08:54PM

Kudos to the dealer...hopefully if the manufacturer will stand by their product and make it right with either you or the dealer....keep us posted

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster