I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Tennessee
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2012 10:19AM

Written in plain English -

Bill B: I can not find a Tennessee Handle set up on your web site.

How do you build them?

Competetion rods for bass fishnermen desiring maximum SENSITIVITY and COMFORT ON TASK SPECIFIC spinning seat handles has proved the Tennessee Style handle superiority.

They are not commercially available on production rods.

This opens a market for custom builders who understand and build rods with Tennesse Style Grips.

They are done in many ways - some posting have detailed "methods" successfully used.

Can improvements be made?

Sure!

Can you head in the wrong direction?

Sure!

Ths missing link to some rodbuilders using this forum is "WHY"!

Steven Gardner not only told you WHY in the Rodmaker Article but "HOW".

Posting links to COMFORTABLE seats is not ON TARGET with the subject matter of this Forum Thread.

My Drop Shot and Shaky Head Poker Chips Are All In!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2012 02:29PM by Bill Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 17, 2012 01:15PM

I only use Tennessee handles on UL rods
On a bass rod of maybe 7' as fare as I am concerned it will generally be tip heavy of course depending on how it is used. A reel seat gives a tad of weight to help with balance --- Secure hold of the reel

Plus i will not have to play with all the different kinds of tape to put the reel on with Easy on and off

I have built plenty of them Hay if some one wants one No problem I build it But for me I like seats

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.sub-174-253-227.myvzw.com)
Date: May 17, 2012 01:58PM

I like a hard grip, wrapping layers of padding on the grip youre losing sensitiviy. Adding weight and tip heavy topic, opens up a whole can of worms.

Date: May 17, 2012 02:34PM

Weight at the BUTT end Is that why companies make those weighted end caps ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.sub-174-253-227.myvzw.com)
Date: May 17, 2012 03:08PM

Well I'm not a pro rod builder and I haven't made enough rods to know. I remember threads with different opinions on this forum discussing adding balance weight versus having a lighter rod.
Greg

Date: May 17, 2012 03:22PM

And of course Sensitivity A lot of posts

As far as I am concerned You cast the bait out And as you work it Keep a finger or two on the line For Sensitivity
The line is tied to the hook The lure or whatever I don't think you can get more sensitive then that I could be wrong -- But

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 17, 2012 03:24PM

And of course Sensitivity A lot of posts

As far as I am concerned You cast the bait out And as you work it Keep a finger or two on the line For Sensitivity
The line is tied to the hook The lure or whatever I don't think you can get more sensitive then that I could be wrong -- But

The rod is an extension of you hand and arm -- It should be Comfortable to cast several hundred times a day

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2012 05:48PM

English did not work - back to foreign language!

New Game - This one is called Bouree" - Cajun Poker

The player holding no thrump cards is in danger of matching the pot for the next hand!

Many of the new builders reading this Internet Fourm Thread are learning new games.

After reading some of these posts their position may be explained by:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Hope someone comes up with a Friday Funnies Topic that entertains all!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: James Davey (---.1.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 09:04PM

Never built a Tennessee handle with before, looking to buy the materials at the Expo in a couple of weeks, i'm sure the concept is the same.

What I used to do years ago was shave lead weights into slivers that fit into the butt section of the blank and epoxy them in.

I have seen lead "string" used for getting baits on the bottom (walleye) sold in stores and online. Not sure if this technique is still around with modern technology and small diameter blanks.

I've done it in the past with UL rods and 7' bass rods and it worked wonders during all day fishing trips.

In those days the blanks were larger diameter, fiberglass and everything was heavier.

I welcome insight on this as well.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster