I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 13, 2012 06:01PM

Hi Gents,
After the recent posts on using Madeira and other sewing threads for guide wraps it's interesting to note that there have been no negative comments. If you've had a problem with it please speak up so the issues can be addressed, we might all learn something. The stuff isn't for everyone but I'm sure everyone who uses it or is thinking about it would be interested to hear them.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira
Posted by: Scott Nordlund (---.sub-174-254-240.myvzw.com)
Date: May 14, 2012 12:05AM

My only suggestion when working with Madeira thread is to make sue to add a few thread ends to the thread finish before you coat it.this will keep you from having issues with fish-eyes, due to the coating on the thread.

Date: May 14, 2012 12:13AM

Hi Scott,
That works well for the darker colours but the lighter ones turn translucent if you don't apply cp and that is not always what you are looking for. I use a few coats of cp to retain the spool colour and that has never caused any problems for me.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Paul O'Connor (---.lnse4.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 14, 2012 07:23AM

Can anyone explain how putting some of the thread into the epoxy prevents fish eyes?

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.156.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: May 14, 2012 08:23AM

I'd like to know that too, can't see how that would make any differance.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 08:26AM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-220-138.myvzw.com)
Date: May 14, 2012 10:48AM

I have been using it for years, mainly because there are some great colors and a great number of colors. As has been mentioned before Medeira thread has a lubricant to help those who use it for it's original purpose and the lubricant helps the needle pass through the cloth etc. I use CP every time and put at least two coats. If I want a translucent effect I use a rod building thread. For me it is not worth it to mess around and then have to cut a wrap off. Hope this helps. It is a little smaller diameter then A-thread so if you are doing a wrap that requires box in for example you may want to do a wrap over a specific measurement such as 1mm or 1/8 inch just to be more accurate as to how many threads need to be layed in a part of a patern. Hope this helps.

Date: May 14, 2012 02:13PM

Hi Pat and Steve,
The silicon in the thread causes fisheyes from varying the surface tension. By adding a few bits of thread to the finish you are adding silicon to it and it makes the surface tension the same preventing fisheyes. Apparently painters do a similar thing when silicon or wax causes them a problem. I know it works cause I did some tests a while back. Works fine for the darker colours but the light ones turn translucent. Depends on what look you are after.
There are some pics under my name if you want to have a look.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 02:19PM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 02:29PM

I don't use that thread but remember the post

I guess when adding the bits of thread it acts like a regular nylon and becomes - translucent ??

So if you want the thread to hold it's color CP is used
heck just like nylon

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 02:31PM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 14, 2012 05:24PM

Col Chaseling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Pat and Steve,
> The silicon in the thread causes fisheyes from
> varying the surface tension. By adding a few bits
> of thread to the finish you are adding silicon to
> it and it makes the surface tension the same
> preventing fisheyes. Apparently painters do a
> similar thing when silicon or wax causes them a
> problem. I know it works cause I did some tests a
> while back. Works fine for the darker colours but
> the light ones turn translucent. Depends on what
> look you are after.
> There are some pics under my name if you want to
> have a look.

Hi, Col. Thanks for explaining. I've not heard that before, learn something new everyday.

Date: May 14, 2012 06:08PM

Another thing i've experienced when using chromaseal cp on madeira thread; too much heat from an alcohol lamp can cause the finish to seperate from the thread and create fish eyes. I like to use a lot of heat to get the bubbles out, so to get around this problem i only put a thin coat on for the first coat, and when i hit it with the flame i get no fish eyes. When i've used flexcoat cp on madeira, i don't get this problem, i can apply a thicker coat of finish and apply a lot of heat and get no fisheyeing. I think this could be that the flexcoat cp forms a stronger barrier than the chromaseal cp? I much prefer to use chromaseal on madeira though because of the excellant colour retention. Have had good results with flexcoat on most colours except for black, where as most know you can't get a true black colour with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 06:22PM by Steve Mcleod.

Date: May 14, 2012 11:00PM

Hi Steve,
If you don't learn something new everyday your usually six feet under!! That explanation was posted about a year ago by someone who new the ins and outs of the silicon issue.
I've never used any heat on cp, I just use a bit of care when applying it so I've just learned something from you. I'm also a chromaseal fan and get good results on Madeira with it and I've never seen a fisheye in my finish.
Appears there's no negative comments about using Madeira for guide wraps and there's a few builders using it without any issues so I guess your good to go when your ready. With your thread skills I'll bet you come up with something that is pretty neat. Post some pics if you can when your finished as I'm interested to see what you come up with.

This forum and Rodmaker magazine are good places to learn new stuff. Tom deserves a lot of credit for all the work he puts in.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: May 15, 2012 06:54AM

Thanks for the explanation Col. It's bizarre that the very thing that causes fish eyes can also prevent them.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.68.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: May 15, 2012 06:30PM

Thanks Col. At present i've no customer rods to build, just mainly guide repairs at the moment. I have a rod of mine i've been meaning to rewrap and do a weave on, so as soon as i get time i'll make a start on it using all madeira thread.

Date: May 15, 2012 09:39PM

Hi Paul,
Your welcome.
Sincere appologies for getting your name wrong on that post, there's no excuse for that. Hopefully that will teach me to have a good look and not a quick glance.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: May 16, 2012 05:30AM

Not the worst I've been called Col. Think nothing of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster