I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork grip wont come off!
Posted by: Tyler Bulin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 10:03PM

I was reaming the rear grip of my rod and my little brother tried to help and pushed it all the way down to the end, and now it wont come off to do the epoxy. Anybody know how to get on eff without breaking the cork or blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork grip wont come off!
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 10:47PM

got a piece of wood with a hole in it that is bigger than the blank yet smaller than the grip? If not make one then use something like a rubber jar lid gripper to gain a good purchase on the blank a bit above the grip, place it over the wood hole and push down HARD and it should pop loose. Oh, forgot to ask and assumed it's cork. Is it? Oh, and be carefull not to slam the blank butt on what ever the wood piece is resting on.

Really, if it were taking me to much effort to remove and it's still not budging and IS placed where I would have glued it, if it was mine and not a client's I would leave it as is and not worry about it.

Just re-read the title! duh! yeah it's cork.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2012 10:49PM by Raymond Adams.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2012 07:18AM

A temperature change might affect it. Set the rod in front an AC unit for a half hour and then see if the grip can be removed.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 12, 2012 07:58AM

NExt time you do this cork should not fit that tight, you're lucky it didn't split when you forced it down. When you get it off ream it out more.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: May 12, 2012 11:01AM

"and now it wont come off to do the epoxy" Are you saying the grip has been epoxied into place? If so, I think you are done. Leave it alone.

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-244-223.myvzw.com)
Date: May 12, 2012 11:18AM

I think Tyler said his little brother pushed it down the blalnk further then the area it was to fit and has jammed it. You got to love little brothers or you don't.

Posted by: Tyler Bulin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 12, 2012 08:13PM

Thanks to all, I did get it off eventually. those jar opener things can help work wonders. And douglas there is a third option; your stuck in the middle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster