I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rebuild rod handle
Posted by: Gerald S Brydalski (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2012 12:43AM

I have a customer that wants me to convert his cork grip handle with sliding rings to a fixed reel seat handle. What is the best/easiest way to remove the cork on the rod? Should I be careful and use a razor blade and cut it off in sections? Then once cork is off litely sand the blank brfore putting on new cork??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rebuild rod handle
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 11, 2012 01:31AM

Hi Gerald,
You should be able to carefully cut one side off and then peel most of the rest off. Heat with a hair dryer to soften the epoxy and you should be able to scrape most of the rest off. You can then carefully sand the rest off in a drill powered lathe or similar. If the guides are still on and you are doing it from the butt end you will need to build the blank up with thread, especially for the foregrip, so you can get the new cork to fit snugly. Shouldn't be too difficult.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2012 09:38AM

Gerald,

You have a couple other options as well.

1. If working from the rear, and if you have a way to turn the rod for sanding, you could take the whole grip down to the same OD. Then slide components on from the rear without having to build up arbors. Best of all, you don't have to deal with dried epoxy cleanup. That has to be one of the worst tasks in rod building. I'm still trying to find a technique that works well for me.

2. If working from the tip, you can take a razor blade and carefully cut through the current grip where the reel seat will be. This way you only have to remove material from the seat forward. You can then reshape the rear grip as needed and add a new fore grip, if needed.

Joe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 08:09PM

I's build a handle like the G Loomis classic trout rods. Cut the grip at the length you need for the rear grip, install a spinning skeleton reelseat with cork insert with an OD similar to the original grip diameter, and finish with a new fore grip made by installing a grip piece, cut to length, that copies the old front end of the original grip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster