I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split Grip cross wraps
Posted by: John Forehand (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 10, 2012 11:17PM

I have seen guys that will start between the butt grip piece and the lower cork grip of the reel seat and then sontinue it after the for grip. How is this done? I have a split grip that I am building for a customer and he has chosen the colors black, silver and gold as his thread colors. The gold is to be used as an accent color. What type of wrap would be the best for only using those three colors, I am thinking of doing a regular open cross wrap of chevrons (I think thats what they are called). But I am not sure how to start it. Should I epoxy the cork and reel seat in place then to the wrap as I normally would or do the wraps first then tie off where the grips would be located and epoxy the wrap first then put the handles on. Or if I do epoxy the grips first then do the wrap how would I carry it over to the fore grip and finish it without having it come loose. I hope you guys can help me with my conundrum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Grip cross wraps
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 05:57AM

HEre's what I do: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 10:09AM

I think I understand what you are wanting - layout the location of the grips, dec wrap a little past your marks and add 1st coat of epoxy then add and glue up the butt grip from the bottom and the handle grip (the tie off will be hidden under the grips). Then add glue up the reelseat and mark the top of the forgegrip, wrap a little past your mark and add 1st coat of epoxy, then slide the foregrip into position it will hide the tie off. this gives the illusion of the same wrap from the foregrip to the split. Same verse same as the first for split reel seats also.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: May 11, 2012 01:50PM

Could you wrap the bottom 2 feet of a blank then put a coat of epoxy on and let cure. Then install your grips and reel seat right over the epoxy? Would there be an issue with the strength of the bond since you went over epoxy? I have done this several times painting the bottom of a blank. I have not had any bonding issues yet but the builds are not that old.

Steve

Posted by: John Forehand (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 02:33PM

I dont know if it would affect the bond or not but I dont want to take any chances. I think I might try it how Fred Trahan suggested doing. It sounds the simplest way. All I would have to do is make the cork just slightly larger at the point of contact with the tie off. Plus I will also be using winding checks so that may prove to hide the extra enlargement needed to accommodate the tie offs. I will probably end up doing some elongated chevrons or diamonds or something of the like that is an open wrap.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 03:09PM

been thinking about this

I would
make you Handle Complete Fit onto the blank
mark and Prep the area where the grip will sit prep well Even prep from the foregrip to the butt

i would not want a handle with CP Finish and Thread UNDERNEATH
none of these things are an Adhesive You may have problems later Loose handle

With the inside of the Split Marked And the End of the For grip marked
Take the handle off

At the Butt Section of the split bring the mark lower maybe 1/2" put you double sided tape
Do the same at the Upper section of the grip
You want thread under the grips -- Only a little

Foregrip -- bring that mark down towards the Butt 1/2" ?? put the double sided tape Put the tape where ever you want to end the foregrip wrap

Do your wrap Line it all up You want it to look like you wrapped all the way
End wraps not needed at the upper end of the Split or at the tip of the Foregrip

Think about it

better bond for the reel seat Split grip And Foregrip With that look
Of course adjust as needed

I do not like any thing under my reel seats or grips -- bare graphite Better bond

Have a nice day

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster