I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Info on Madeira strength Att. Steve Mcleod
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 10, 2012 10:51PM

Hi gents,
For those toying with Madeira thread for guide wraps here are the results of some testing I did. Tried to keep everything as standard as I could such as thread length, knots etc. Don't own a tensile tester or a line testing machine so I had to make do with my drag scales. I've only got three spools of Gudebrod thread so I did a number of tests on each spool. The Madeira and Pacbay have got a test on different spools.

Madeira Pacbay "a" thread Gudebrod "a" thread

1.1 0.9 1.0 1
1.2 1.0 1.0 1
1.1 1.0 0.9 1
1.2 1.0 0.8 1
1.1 * 1.0 0.7 2
1.0 0.9 0.7 2
1.2 * 1.1 0.7 2
1.2 * 1.1 * 1.2 3
1.2 1.0 1.3 3
0.9 1.0 1.2 * 3

Avg 1.12kg 1.0kg 0.95kg

* Broke on knot

Appologies if everythings not lined up but the "TAB" function doesn't work on the forum.
The results are even enough to give a good comparison and surprisingly Gudebrod showed the biggest variation from spool to spool.
A lot of people don't like using cp on guide wraps but I've been doing it for 35 years and haven't had any problems.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Info on Madeira strength Att. Steve Mcleod
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 06:33AM

Some say Madeira stretches too much to trust for guide wraps..
I don't know the validity of this claim.
I wonder if it's true.
It's not the same issue as tensile strength.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.89.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: May 11, 2012 07:43AM

Col Chaseling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi gents,
> For those toying with Madeira thread for guide
> wraps here are the results of some testing I did.
> Tried to keep everything as standard as I could
> such as thread length, knots etc. Don't own a
> tensile tester or a line testing machine so I had
> to make do with my drag scales. I've only got
> three spools of Gudebrod thread so I did a number
> of tests on each spool. The Madeira and Pacbay
> have got a test on different spools.
>
> Madeira Pacbay "a" thread
> Gudebrod "a" thread
>
> 1.1 0.9
> 1.0 1
> 1.2 1.0
> 1.0 1
> 1.1 1.0
> 0.9 1
> 1.2 1.0
> 0.8 1
> 1.1 * 1.0
> 0.7 2
> 1.0 0.9
> 0.7 2
> 1.2 * 1.1
> 0.7 2
> 1.2 * 1.1 *
> 1.2 3
> 1.2 1.0
> 1.3 3
> 0.9 1.0
> 1.2 * 3
>
> Avg 1.12kg 1.0kg
> 0.95kg
>
> * Broke on knot
>
> Appologies if everythings not lined up but the
> "TAB" function doesn't work on the forum.
> The results are even enough to give a good
> comparison and surprisingly Gudebrod showed the
> biggest variation from spool to spool.
> A lot of people don't like using cp on guide
> wraps but I've been doing it for 35 years and
> haven't had any problems.
Thanks for that Col, interesting reading. Must admit i don't like to use cp anymore on guide wraps, but with the amazing choice of vibrant colours madeira make, their wouldn't be much point in using it on guide wraps without cp unless you wanted a translucent appearence.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Date: May 11, 2012 08:47AM

Hi Gents,
In response to David Gilberg's post I did another test. Took a 12 inch piece of Madeira and stretched it over a tape measure until it broke. It got to 15 inches. A 12 inch piece of Gudebrod got to 14 inches. The extra stretch is the reason I use about 1/4 more thread tension with Madeira than I used to use. After it's coated with epoxy it's not going to stretch much.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: joey lamonica (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 09:10AM

i have been using mederia thread on guide wraps for a while i never had a problem with it all i do is put cp n finish on it i even jig tuna fish on a calstar 700H grafiter still never had a issue with maderia holding the guides

Posted by: mark crouse (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 10:00AM

Many years ago some Fellow rod builders where discussing the same thing "the Strength of thread".
What I want you to do now is very simple.
take you favorite Fresh water rod with reel, pull the line through the guides, knot the end to an object and bend the rod as much as you can, now have a friend pull the line away from the guides with a little fish scale, you will be surprised how little the pressure is.
I have been using every thread brand there is, more likely I have been using Madeira Threads or Ackerman threads the longest (about 20 years) out of my 38 years of building. I never had guides get loose, the factor is your wrapping skills, has to be tight together and with a good tension and will have no problems.
Best Regards to all Mark Crouse- The Munich rod man

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 02:10PM

I really appreciate the responses to the stretching issue.
I'll be using Madeira for guide wraps from now on without any hesitation.
This opens the door to many more color options.

Date: May 11, 2012 02:49PM

Hi David,
The stories about Madeira not being strong enough or being too stretchy probably originated from a few builders who tried it for guide wraps and had failures. They probably didn't understand the stretch issue and how to overcome it. Rather than look for a proper method it's easier to say "the thread is no good for guide wraps". Whenever you stray away from the norm you are likely to have failures. Some testing or perserverance to find the best method can often overcome any issues. How many guys built the perfect rod on their first attempt?

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 12, 2012 01:30PM

Mark and Col hit it pretty good!! All it takes is for a couple people to say Madeira (or anything else) isn't suitable for something and many just accept that as gospel without questioning it. As far as stretch goes, I would doubt that any thread with a coat of epoxy on it has the ability to stretch. I use probably 95% Madeira and other Polyester threads for my guide wraps with CP and have NEVER had a guide pull loose although I have had guide frames break. In my opinion, which thread is strongest is completely irrelevant. What's important is whether it's strong enough to do the job

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.156.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: May 12, 2012 01:49PM

Think that's true, i read that it wasn't any good for guide wraps,and like a lot of other builders you just presume it's no good. Well, having read these excellant reports, i'm certainly going to start using it, if only for the great range of colours madeira offer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2012 02:00PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: May 13, 2012 12:20AM

G'day Steve I also use madeira thread for guide wraps & have done for few years . As a Christmas present for my son I made him a "Jewie Pole" (It's really a crowbar) used for skull dragging the Jewies out of their hole & this rod gets some serious workouts almost every night, with the largest fish to date weighing 27KG (59.5lb) & over 3/4 hour to land .All guides are double wrapped with madeira & not any showing signs of deterioration. I always use 2 coats of cp & have never had any problems.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Date: May 13, 2012 01:59AM

Hi Baz,
That's a serious Jewie, love to find one like that off the beach!!! That's given everything a good workout, including your son. There's quite a few builders using Madeira for guide wraps and they wouldn't be doing it if they had guides pulling out. Goes to show that if you do it properly you won't have a problem.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: May 13, 2012 08:49AM

G'Day Col certainly gave my son the run around .He said he did about 50 laps of the north wall in Port Macquarie. He reconds any more like that he'l have arms like "Popeye"

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.156.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: May 13, 2012 09:36AM

Barry Chapman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> G'day Steve I also use madeira thread for guide
> wraps & have done for few years . As a Christmas
> present for my son I made him a "Jewie Pole"
> (It's really a crowbar) used for skull dragging
> the Jewies out of their hole & this rod gets some
> serious workouts almost every night, with the
> largest fish to date weighing 27KG (59.5lb) & over
> 3/4 hour to land .All guides are double wrapped
> with madeira & not any showing signs of
> deterioration. I always use 2 coats of cp & have
> never had any problems.
Wow! now that's what you call a thread test! proof enough, cheers Barry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster