I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wraps coming loose!
Posted by: Ron Flowers (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 10, 2012 08:57AM

I'm having a really hard time keeping the last two or three guides (from the tip) tight. It seems tight until I finish my wraps and pull the final wrap under. Then everything's loose. I'm using an 8 lb. mono. Could the diameter of the mono be too large? I've tried using the same thread that I wrap with but it tends to break before pulling the thread through. Is there a stronger thread for pulling? I've seen the pull strings (loops) that you can buy but they look like mono also. Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wraps coming loose!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2012 09:06AM

Braid works very well for pull-through loops. Unwaxed dental floss isn't half bad either.

If you have trouble holding it without the ends slipping through your fingers, run the ends through something, perhaps a small bead like you'd use to make spinnerbaits, and knot it.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2012 09:36AM

10 lb braid is slick and about the diameter of 2 lb mono. I use 20 lb fly line backing that is both thin and slick. Works great.

In the tip area, you'll also want to increase your tension a bit and start your tie-off loops a little sooner. You can also pull the tag end tight after the pull through to make things tighten up a bit before cutting off.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Date: May 10, 2012 10:08AM

Thanks for the tips!
About to start a new build and will try them on it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2012 11:09AM

Ron,
I have been using high vis 10 lb power pro for the last several years with no issue. I tie a bright bead, or a piece of bright yarn on the thread pull to more easily locate it when needed. I have a peg behind the bench on which are hung many thread pulls, so that if one is dropped and not quickly found, you don't waste time looking for another one.

When you tie up your thread pulls make a couple at all different lengths. Then, do a bunch of wraps using various pull lenghts and finally settle on the one that is of the lengtht that works best for you.

Also, if you are having issues with the wraps coming loose, I am also guessing that you are not likely tying the wraps tight enough. The wraps should be tight enough to just barely turn and move them if needed.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Mark Tobiasz (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2012 11:09AM

I had the same problem some years back-Be sure you're pulling under away from the feet- the tunnel area is proportionately bigger near the tip.

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: May 10, 2012 11:51AM

Pull through on the opposite side of the guide foot. Also, before you pull through hold the last few turns tightly so the thread doesn't pull the last turn to a point where it will end up under the guilde foot tunnel.

Posted by: Andrew Lang (208.60.60.---)
Date: May 10, 2012 11:52AM

I do most all my wraps with size A thread. I find you have to increase the tension on the thread as the blank gets thinner and the guide feet smaller to keep them tight. I use size A white NCP thread to pull the tag ends. However, I trim the tag end before pulling (I don't like trimming the line if it pulls from under the wraps). Finally, don't put too many wraps over your loop for pulling the tag end. I don't normally do more than 10-12 wraps over the loop. This tension is what leads to the line breaking and may be why your wraps get loose.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 10, 2012 05:58PM

Hi Ron,
If you are going to use braid as a pull through make sure you give it a good clean with isoprophyl to get rid of the excess dye/wax as it can stain light coloured binding.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: May 11, 2012 05:13AM

Thanks for all the tips! I've done most of the mistakes listed above a time or two. Most of the problem was my piece of junk homemade wrapper I bought from #######. I think I've made it workable. I will try the braid and see if that helps. I knew I could depend on all of you to set me straight. Thanks again. Ron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster