I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guides on a spinning rod
Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.sub-174-254-160.myvzw.com)
Date: May 09, 2012 02:43PM

I'm building my first rod I intend to use for drop-shotting bass, it's a 6'9" st. Croix scv. I have a micro guide set I purchased and I'm just wondering about spacing the micro guides. I've read articles on the new guide concept and the static method and I'm guessing the static method would be best in this case, but any input from someone who has put micro guides on a spinning rod, I believe my kit has a 16-10-7-5-and the rest 4s for a total of 11 eyes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guides on a spinning rod
Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: May 09, 2012 04:22PM

The ngc and the static method work fine together. Set the number 4 choker guide, and the number 16 stripper guide (this should approximately be 1/2 the spool diameter in millimeters.). Then place a number 4 guide 5 inches back from the tip. Next proceed to static test it. I followed the instructions for both procedures that are in the library. I recently built a steelhead rod on a st croix 8'-6 blank and I ended up with 10 guides total.

The reason I don't like buying sets is that the spacing and the size of the guides may not work out with my set up. I buy one of each size from the stripper on down and then use what works. I save the extras, and keep records so If I have a similar setup in the future, i use this one as a starting point for ordering. Good luck.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.ostusa.com)
Date: May 09, 2012 04:38PM

probably don't need the 5, 11 guides is more than you'll need for a 6'9".
Do the static test and use the NGC and 27x method to set your first #4 and then place your spinning guides accordingly. Hopefully you have match guides based on those sizes.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2012 06:23PM

The 27x method puts my choker 51" from the reel face, which leaves me with about 17.5" to the tip, which puts about three eyes between my choker and the tip top, does this seem right? I guess I was thinking there would be more size 4 eyes on there since the kit came with 7 of them, I assumed ordering a micro guide set from a custom rod company like M.H. they would give you something closer to what you would need for a 6 to 7' rod since that's what the kit is for, I guess I'm going to have to order more guides and go from there.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 07:36PM

It depends on how fast your rod is. All of mine have at least 4 guides in that 17.5 inche span.

Could it be you bought a kit for a baitcaster? I'd think eight guides would be enough, for that blank, used with a spinning reel.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: May 09, 2012 07:48PM

No it's definetly the kit for a spinning rod, it's weird that if you work the math backward from the size 16 butt guide they give you inthe kit you'd have to have a reel with a spool face diameter of 1.260", the only reels I have with a spool that size are on my ice fishing rods, not 6'-7' rods. Must be they know something we don't? Lol!

Date: May 09, 2012 08:42PM

Another question before I order more guides, when I intersect the centerline of my reel with the rod blank I find that intersection point to fall at about 39" ahead of my reel face, instead of the 51" as suggested by the 27x rule. Which should I use? I've read articles of doing it both ways.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2012 09:12PM

Use whichever one works best. In other words, tape up some guides and try them.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 09:13PM

Zach,
7 or no more than 8 guides are all that is necessary for this blank.

Just because you use micros on a spinning rod doesn't mean that you use any more guides than you would do with a conventional set of guides.

I have built several of these rods and generally put the butt guide at 20 inches from the center of the reel seat.
I also generally put the first 3 guides on this blank about 3 1/2 inches apart and 3 1/2 inches from the tip . Then, from that point the spacing can quickly increase. This is because you have a very fast tip on this rod.

Good luck
Roger

Date: May 10, 2012 12:37AM

Thanks for the info, it's been a long night of head scratching, taping, untaping and math but I think I have the guides ordered I need! Thanks!

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: May 10, 2012 12:57AM

I'm with Roger, Fast tip blank need shorter spacing at the tip.

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2012 10:43AM

I am going to give you more to think about. Does placing the choker guide to maximize casting distance maximize the usefullness of a freshwater bass drop shot rod? With light mono or braid can you be much more aggressive in choking down the line?

The beauty of custom rod building is you can design rods to maximize their usefullness for a given technique. Rod building is a series of trade offs. It is hard to maximize everything. You give up something to get something. I think it is great to have guidelines to compare things to and that produce acceptable results, however, a freshwater bass drop shot rod needs to do different things than a saltwater surf rod.

For my drop shot rods light weight and sensitiviy are much more important than casting distance. To lay out my guides I flex the rod and determine the point on the blank where the back bone starts to lock up. I put the choker there or even a little closer to the reel. Depending on the intended reel, this is often closer to the reel than the 27x or blank intersection method would dictate. Why do I do it this way? I don't like to put reduction guides in the area of greatest flex in the blank. This puts the light little guides where the rod flexes the most and need to be closest together and the bigger guides where the rod flexes the least and can be spaced out the most. In practice I end up with the running guides spaced closer together and closer to the tip on faster blanks.

I normally use only two reduction guides. If it is a rod I am going to cast a lot with, probably a #16 and a #8. For rods that are primarily used for vertical fishing, a #12 and a #6. In practice, even my drop shot rods with the 12 and 6 combo casts far enough for me. If my two reduction guides seem to be spaced too far apart, I normally add more running guides rather than a third reduction guide.

I am willing to give up some casting distance (as long as it casts far enough) to use as many running guides as practical. I think this minimizes weight and maximizes sensitivity.

I primarily use 10 lb braid with a fluorocarbon leader, somtimes straight 6 # fluorocarbon. My set up probably won't work as well for a rod that is going to be used with 10# or higher fluorocarbon. I don't know for sure, because I have not built a spinning drop shot rod that I want to use heavier line on.

The biggest thing is, this works best for me, it may not work the best for anybody else. I suggest thinking about what you want the guides to do rather than how it looks or if seems to match up to some guidelines.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2012 03:11PM

I have built many spinning rod on fly blanks (9' and over)using micro guides SIC MATCH ,model "M" guides(long legs guides).Please take the Tom Kirkman advise. For on 10'4" spinning rod i was using just 6 guides, so if you use MATCH guides, model "M" you don't need 11 guides!!!! Because long legs guides keep the line far for the blank you don’t need so many guides. Just do the static test.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 11, 2012 09:37AM

More, smaller running guides will increase sensitivity simply because they add "contact points" on the blank for transmission of vibration. Smaller guides sit lower to the blank so these signals with, say, a size 4 runner only have to go 4-5 mm to reach the blank. I would further agree that your two guide reduction train idea is valid due to the new information we have on the KR Concept which often moves the choke point 25% closer to the reel and actually IMPROVES performance with braid and light mono. The only thing I would do is spend a little more time positioning the stripper. If you'll place those two reduction guides with care you will have a drop shot rod that will also cast like a bullet. Add a split seat that uses graphite arbors rather than vibration dampening tape and you will "feel" things as well as we currently can.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2012 08:21AM

Jeff,
When you use your two reduction guides, do you stick to the 1 for every foot +1 rule, or do you add more since you are using smaller ligter guides early on? I had a 16-7-4 combo taped on with a total of 9 guides when my maximum should be 8 following the rule. When I did my static test I couldn't get 8 guides to look good choking it down that fast. It seemed to cast well as far as distance was concerned, Initially on I would get line slap for the first second or so, but as soon as the line got into a its normal rythmic flow everthing looked good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster