I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help fixing a screw up
Posted by: James Bare (50.105.15.---)
Date: May 09, 2012 04:19AM

I was taking epoxy off of guides and from those pesky decals I am working with and I peeled some epoxy off that had come up against and soaked into the eva handle. Well now I have a couple small chunks missing from the eva. It is the bottom of the grip up against a winding check and the chunks go probably 1/8 inch deep behind the winding check.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help fixing a screw up
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2012 07:38AM

It is possible to cut out the damaged portion of the grip and replace it with the same cutting from a fresh piece. A brass tube, in two slightly different sizes, will core out the old and provide core material from the new. Wet contact cement will allow for installation.

The only tricky part is removing the material from the existing grip. Depending on where and how much you need to remove, it can be tough to do.

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: May 09, 2012 08:07AM

I would cut out the portion of eva that is damaged, smooth out the contour, remove traces of eva from the blank in the affected area, cut off the winding check, remove all traces of adhesive down to the blank and then use a small decorative band to cover the area, epoxy it and done.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 09:32AM

James,

With respect to fixing your current rod without handle removal. It sounds like the damage has been to the fore grip of the grip only. If that is the case, it might just be simpler to cut a 1/4 inch or so - where the damage has occurred on the front of the grip and just go on from there. Since you are removing the guides, you will have a clean blank down to the for grip. Remove the old winding check - 1/4 inch of the fore grip and clean up the blank. Then, just slide a new winding check down the blank for a nice fit and wrap the rod.
Most rods will not miss 1/4 inch or so off a fore grip.

Roger

Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.174.29.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 09:51AM

If the damage isn't visible from the top of the grip (only seen when looking down the blank at the check). Then you could fill the voids and cover them with a larger check or hosel.

Posted by: James Bare (50.105.15.---)
Date: May 10, 2012 01:29AM

The brass tube thing sounds interesting, do I need a special type of contact cement?

I was thinking could I grind down some of the spare eva into powder and mix it with some type of glue to fill in the gaps that way?

I figure as a last resort I can cut out the damaged part and extend the threads I wrapped on the split grip a little farther up the blank and cut and glue a winding check in place. The only thing about that is cutting the piece off straight without damaging the blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2012 08:40AM

Run a piece of 1/4" tap around the eva That will give you a line to follow Cut Shape and then another check
Or no check and just thread

Be careful when coating with clear

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster