I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tube for transporting 8+ foot rod with reel attached
Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 08, 2012 11:58PM

Looking for some sort of rod transport tube for storing and transporting rods in the 8+ foot range with the bait casting reel attached.

From what I have seen everything is designed to transport rods with the reels taken off. I use my rods on a very regular basis so I would love a solution which allows me to keep the reel and line attached. Something I could throw in the truck and not worry about getting bounced around. Then pull out on friday afternoon with the rod and reel ready to go.

any thoughts ???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tube for transporting 8+ foot rod with reel attached
Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 09, 2012 12:06AM

forgot to mention the rods to break down into 2 pieces.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 01:00AM

Cabela's has had a transport tube for some time for steelhead rods. Single or double rod configuration. Mine has held up well for 8+ years, many trips to Alaska, etc.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: May 09, 2012 07:05AM

For a 2-pc you might consider one of the plano plastic gun cases. Might as well get the one that holds two guns. Just carve up the foam to fit the reel.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: May 09, 2012 08:09AM

Research suppliers in the UK. This is a common item among carp fishermen.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 09:46AM

Casey,
Yes you can find cases and or boxes to do the very thing that you suggest.
However, I beg the question - how long does it take you to mount a reel and string a line? 20 seconds, 1 minute, 90 seconds?

It seems that you are adding a lot of bulk to your rod storage needs in order to save a minute or two of prep time.

You can pick up a 4 inch 10 foot long PVC sewer drain tube from Home Depot or Lowes for about $6 and store about 10 rods in it. Purchase two caps for the ends of the pipe. Cut the pipe to the length that you need. Glue one cap on permanently. If necessary sand down the other end of the pipe so that the end cap is a slip fit. If you only need storage for one or two rods, you can use a 2 inch piece of PVC for bait casting rods or a 3 inch PVC for spinning rods due to the larger guides.

I have also picked up a small heavy duty tool bag that nicely holds about 8 reels - either bait casting or spinning. As long as the reels are all in the bag together, there is no bouncing around and no damage.

When you get to your destination, pop open the cap of the tube - take out your rod of choice, replace the cap. Open the bag, take out the reel of choice, zip the bag closed. Take about a minute to mount the reel and thread the line through the guides and you are ready to tie on a bait and go fishing.

Total storage expenditure - under $20 to be able to store about 6-8 rods and reels in a nice compact format.

----
When I take my boat to the lake, I will commonly bring my rods and reels in this fashion. The rods store so much better and so much more compactly without the reels on the rods. Then, the reels store very well in the small tool bag. Grab the rod you want for the presentation, grab the reel you want for the presentation, and you are ready to go in a minute or so. By the end of the day, you likely have a dozen or more rods rigged the way that you want for the fish that you are chasing. But you always have the option of just fishing with the first rod that you use for the entire day and have minimized the hassle and storage areas. Also, by not having reels on the rods, the bulk of the time, you very much minimize the potential damage you get from having reels bouncing around and bumping other rods and reels.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 09:54AM

Casey,
Or you can go with one of these style cases:

[www.hardingandsons.com]

or:
[www.sportube.com]

or:
[www.sportsmanswarehouse.com]

or:
[www.amazon.com]

or:
[www.basspro.com]

or:

[www.sportsmanswarehouse.com]

Roger

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 10:05AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 01:51PM

Casey,

I understand where you are coming from. It's nice to be able to just grab a rod and go without the hassle of stringing it every time. You may be able to find something out there that will fit your needs but you'll probably end up having to build your own. I do alot of musky fishing with 8.5-9' rods and I drive a Ford Ranger longbed (7'). My 8.5' rods will fit, but 9' won't. I'm in the process of designing a secure and lockable rod holder that will allow me to carry my rods, with reels attached, on top of my camper top so that they are fully enclosed and protected. I had been looking at the car-top carriers that many fly fishermen use out West, but I want something more secure that will protect my rods from flying debris and keep them clean. I'm leaning towards using a 3" schedule 20 PVC pipe with an adapter that goes to a short section of 6" pipe to hold the reels. I figure I'm looking at around $100-$125 for all the materials for a secure rod rack that will hold 6 fully rigged musky rods.

It's a pain in the butt to stand in the parking lot for 15 minutes rigging up rods before you go fishing!

jeremy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster