I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC help needed
Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 03:45PM

I've been asked to build two spinning rods on MHX MB844 blanks. The specs are as follows:

• 7’0”
• 12-20# line weight
• 5/16-1 oz. lure weight
• Fast action
• Heavy power

I expect that they will be used with about a 6000 size spinning reel. I intend to employ the NGC setup but I don't have a reel available to ascertain the choke point and angle. If someone could mount a 6000 size on a rod and line up the spindle with a table edge and measure the choke distance from the spindle tip as well as the distance from the spindle tip to the blank, I think that I can get a pretty good setup from that.

Or if you have any other suggestions as to how to figure this out, I sure would be appreciative.

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC help needed
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 03:52PM

MudHole has spacing charts for there Rod Kits It is a Starting place

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2012 04:13PM

Try to get a spool diameter and do it this way:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 04:48PM

The problem with the 27 formula is that with larger spinning reels the choke point is near or beyond the end of the rod for example a Penn Sargus 6000 reel has a diameter of 63.5 mm which puts the choke at 67.5" from the reel face, which is beyond the end of 7' with a 10" rear grip.

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2012 05:08PM

Using the spool upsweep will put it even further out - which is the reason for 27X to begin with.

You may be faced with the fact that on a shorter rod with a very large reel, the tiptop is going to be your choke guide. Pulling it in closer than that could result in less than optimum performance.

Date: May 08, 2012 05:42PM

Find out the reel they will use Check that out
The fish and size that they are usually catching
Where they fish
Most go over size and can use a smaller reel I have seen many with a rod that can catch tuna going for trout
Then they can also use a light braid I have caught good size base on 4 LB braid I was going for trout and crappy ??But it worked as long as one does not try to Haul them in

A lot want one rod to do all types of fish

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 05:44PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 09:50PM

John, I would expect no greater than a 4000 size reel on that blank. I know Shimano's spool diameter from the 2500-4000 series in that range is 38mm and many other reels are similar, but obviously there are always the exceptions. Without knowing the reel or its spool diameter its going to be awfully tough.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 06:33AM

I

John

also think a 6000 would be overkill. Sean seems to be right on with a 4000 series

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: May 09, 2012 07:03AM

Agree on reel size. Also encourage y'all to actually test your braid. The label means nothing. I was able to load 300 yards of braid that tests near 17# on a 2500 stradic.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 02:25PM

Agreed. 2500 series, maybe 4000 but seldom 6000. If you have a good reason for choosing that size I have a 6500 Saltist here with a choke point of 44.25 inches and a "B" height of 102.3mm, much closer than a 27X in this case but it could be this particular reel. Proceed with caution.

Date: May 09, 2012 03:45PM

I have used a 500 series Shimano Worked great

But for big fish out of grass at least 2 - 3000

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster