I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fluke jigger
Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 02:53PM

I have a gentleman who may be ordering my first for profit build. He and I will be discussing color scheme (matching his boat), and other specifics. From a brief discussion I understood the following: He fishes Long Island Sound and is looking for a fluke jigger (maybe several). His preference is 7'-7'-6 length, with a light tip, but a fair amount of backbone and I get the impression he would like the rod to shut down before it reaches the foregrip. He uses bucktails from 1 - 4 oz and usually drifts them. He has not yet made up his mind if he wants conventional, spiral or spinning gear. And, the rod must be as light as possible as he fishes for long periods of time and heavy rods tire him out.

From what I could see from a brief look into the vendors is that some of the Musky/Saltwater blanks seem to fit the bill such as the Lami LGM's, MHX, etc. Any ideas for a blank would be greatly appreciated. There is no budget yet so any suggestions would be considered.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fluke jigger
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 02:57PM

Check out Billy V's Hercules blanks

Hay Billy Thanks for the info

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2012 02:58PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 03:11PM

John,

Look up Capt. Neil Faulkner. This type of build is right in his wheel house. I was able to spend some time in his shop one day a couple years ago. You may be surprised at what he recommends using. He showed me some blanks used for this type of fishing, and I was amazed. They weren't what I expected at all when he told me the jig weights involved. It was a good learning experience.

Joe

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 03:32PM

For the Sound look at Mag Bass 2, 3, or 4 power blanks. IMO the Musky blanks are terrible they are way too stiff. But each person has their own like/dislikes. It's more important that the rod is balanced properly than it is super light. General rule of thumb for rods like this is you can double the lure rating and add an ounce to figure out how many ounces the rod will handle. Flat out the best blank for this has not been available for 15 years, the DNY Impact, which I got 3 of from Captain Neil and recently picked another one up. I'm a hoarder, lol.

Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 05:56PM

I built one last year on an HMX MB 843 and the customer loved it.

• 7’0”
• 10-17# line weight
• ¼-3/4 oz. lure weight
• Fast action
• Med-heavy power

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster