I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Coloring Black Guide Feet
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bal.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 01:46PM

What were the reasons for coloring the ground portions of black guide feet?

I have tried Sharpies (they rub off) and I have been using nail polish (too soft and takes a while to dry). It is really being a hassle and I am wondering if it is really worth the trouble.

I never use light colored threads and always use CP, so if I pack the threads tightly and burnish real nice, do I even need to worry?

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coloring Black Guide Feet
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.resC115.jtibs.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 02:07PM

To stop the shiney sparkle of the ground guide foot showing through the thread. A magic marker pen works well, but as you say, if you burnish well there's no need to do it.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 02:13PM

With CP it is not going to show though

In salt - you should have the extra protection in case saltwater gets under your thread

Paint is probably the best Dries fast and should not bleed though

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: May 06, 2012 03:29PM

I have used a quick shot of automotive type spray paint. It's dry in 10 minutes and works perfectly. I used a sharpie just yesterday on a single guide re-wrap. It works ok but it is easy to rub off. I'll stick with spray paint in the future.

I never use CP and you cant tell that it's a flat black vs the shiny black of the guide itself.

Drew

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 06:23PM

Birchwood Casey and Testor's make black paint pens. I use these to color the feet. Just shake them up, and touch the tip of the fiber wick to the are that needs to be colored. No muss, No fuss, No clean up.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 08:47AM

I know some folks use the gun blueing "paint" as well.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 09:42AM

Sharpies may contribute to FASTER corrosion on ground guide feet. Marker ink contains Chloride which is very corrosive to stainless steel. Stick with paint.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster