I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom Rod Business ??
Posted by: Marc Morris (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 02:41AM

Question for you guys that have chosen to create a custom rod building business.

What has been your best method of getting your company noticed when you first began your endeavor....ie word of mouth, advertisements, fishing/rod building shows, shirts, stickers? Just trying to remain a local builder.

MM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Rod Business ??
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 06:32AM

Become the go to guy on your local fishing web site for rod questions and information, not just for custom rods, but in assisting site members in what to look for in factory rods so they can make informed decisions. Not all fishing requirements need a custom rod and if you can help site members they will come back to you for repairs and eventually custom rods.

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 10:41AM

rays suggestion is spot on,helping others is not only satisfing ,it can be profitable also.the web has been good also for obviuos reasons,but can be a little frustrating at first.hand shakes,smiles and conversations, along with a good looking card ,have been my best advertisements.good luck

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 06, 2012 01:02PM

On this same note... How many of you guys who do this for $$ have formed some type of LLC and have insurance. In todays world it seems everyone is out to sue everyone so you never know who down the road will want what you have. Are you all forming corps and getting product insurance etc ????

I know that this sounds crazy but I have seriously been thinking about it as I have recently done a little work for people that I dont really know. They were referrals from guys I know. So all I need is someone jerking a rod which breaks then stabs their kid in the eye... The next thing I know is im in court for selling faulty equip..

I neither have the time nor money for this.

Am I nuts ?????????

Posted by: Stephen Gruber (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2012 04:25PM

I agree with what Ray said. Hook up with your Trout Unlimited chapter, any local fishing clubs. I don't "judge" anyone for their rod choice, but I do try to be a resource for whatever questions I can answer, and I am always willing to research anything I don't know. I learn a lot about not only my craft, but fishing as well.

Also, do charity work. Every chance you get, build a more broad application rod and donate it to be given as a door prize or raffled off for a local group. Use school or pro team colors (can never go wrong with red, white and blue). These go to your local police and firefighters associations, church wild game dinners, school boosters/PTO, conservation groups, whatever local fundraisers you can get involved with. There's a bunch of really reasonably priced blanks to use, and building these will keep you in practice.

I will always do charity work, because I want to give something to my community. But from the business side of things, these do help sales. I gave a rod to my church's Sportsman's Breakfast for a door prize that directly resulted in getting 6 orders. Only two of those were from individuals who attended the breakfast. The others were word of mouth referrals from people who did attend.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 06:49PM

Another thing you can do for your self is take pics of your work and put together a working port folio. Work up a opening business statement something along the lines on how or why you got started. Time line the folder as you progress. Do promotional work with the costumers you build for! If there willing to do so. Reputation is a big step in the direction to getting your business up and off the ground. Create a web site and keep it updated. Use business cards and keep a good supply not only for your self but for your returning customers. I do a promotional build for my first time customers, I also build a small port-folio folder of their rod with pictures of it being built from the ground up and in certain stages of its construction. In the end they get a full folder with all the details of what was done to build the rod and a detailed list of the components and material's used. Its place in a water proof folder type so they can carry it out on the river with them! If anyone asks about the rod and who built it they can just grab the folder and start talking and start showing.

There are many ways to do things I just made this idea up myself and its work out extremely well. The customer feels pretty good about what there getting, not only a custome built rod, but a detailed out line on how the rod was constructed and who did the work. So they feel good about what there paying for and they have something to show other than just the rod its self, were it came from and how it was built. The folder work is not very costly at all and well worth the customers satisfaction rating. I hope this helps and gives you some ideas on were you might get started. I Built my first Salmon rod and donated to charity for @#$%& and it made $300.00 and even out priced a hand signature G.Loomis Salmon rod. That was my first rod ever built and its been an addiction there after! You can blame most of these folks here on this site how ever! They did it to me ! I just made the choice to listen to them and do it LOL! Good luck and have fun thats the most important part of it all !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2012 07:46PM

Before you begin doing anything to promote your custom rod business on a fishing forum, consult with the owners about buying a sponsorship. No matter how much help you offer, if you include information about your business or use the forum to promote or conduct business in any way, you owe that forum owner for the use of their property in benefitting your business.

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 09:23PM

Marc - Good luck! Your success is only limited to how well you plan and how far you want your business to go.

One of the biggest things we come across when working with clients trying to build both rodbuilding and "production" rod businesses is helping them figure out how to find business -

- Identify and have a strong understanding of your customer base. If you are going "local" identify a group within the local scene. Are you mainly fly, bass, inshore, etc? Are you focusing on high end, beautiful heirlooms or performance based tools? If you know who you are selling to, and what they want - you will be far more successful. Don't worry if the fly guys don't come to you at first if you focus only on bass. You will get spill over as you build your name. Lots of anglers fish multiple styles. Once you have done this - you can easily answer your question on how you should advertise. If you know who you are selling to, you can figure out how to get your name in front of them.

When you advertise, be sure to identify yourself and promote YOUR brand.

Hope it's a few nuggets of help for you.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Marc Morris (---.frostbank.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 09:38AM

charity events seems like a superb idea, wonder why I did not think of that from the start...... Thanks again guys.

MM

Posted by: Forrest Peters (12.167.12.---)
Date: May 07, 2012 01:46PM

Since I am new to the site and been making rods for awhile. My question is what is the going price for a custom rod? I sold everyone I have made and I am wondering if maybe I am selling my self short?Any help whould be great and thanks for this great forum.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2012 01:56PM

That depends on a lot of things, such as your abilities, your geographic area, etc., etc. What you have to decide is whether or not you're making what you feel is a fair price for your work. At any rate, once you add up all your parts and other incidental items used to make a rod, I'd think that making less than $150 on top of that is a waste of time, unless you're just doing it for fun.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 06:32PM

I am pretty humble,but my customers keep telling how talented I am. So I know I have been selling to cheap.I must be doing something right I did read your book and Dale's.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 09:00PM

Actually I live a great place in Wisconsin.It's called Lake Country. I have a dozen or so lakes within 10 miles and probaly that in sports shops to.

Date: May 07, 2012 09:05PM

Forrest,
I'm in WI too. Can you send me a message or unhide your email?

Date: May 08, 2012 10:17AM

I do not know how to go about doing that?

Date: May 08, 2012 11:53AM

Go back out to the main page then click on Control Center > Edit Email Settings > Allow other users to see my email address > Submit

My email is steelie05@yahoo.com

Date: May 08, 2012 01:37PM

I hope I did it correct? What are you looking for?

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Rashid Knight (---.sub-174-253-100.myvzw.com)
Date: May 08, 2012 11:34PM

I am just getting started with custom rod building. I have four guides left and my first inshore saltwater trout rod will be done. My skill level is ground level right now but I believe I am catching on quickly. I too am considering starting a custom rod business and intend to target the local kayak fishing community to begin with. I have a great mentor who lives 30 minutes away and has 20 plus years of experience. My rods will be sold to benefit my chapter of Heroes on the Water of which I am the coordinator. I have not yet formed an LLC and only intend to market my rods via my chapters Facebook page and whatever tournaments I might be able to attend. So, my question I suppose is, what advice besides get some business cards made would anyone offer me?

Posted by: Marc Morris (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2012 12:52AM

I've recently sponsored a family member into a large fishing tournament showcasing my rods/clothing, his team finishing in top 3 has helped tremendously with folks inquiring the product. My next move is charity events, which was suggested.

MM

Date: May 09, 2012 09:04AM

Rashid,
You will be asked to do various repairs (loose reel seat, guide replacement, broken tips, etc.). Buy cheap old rods from garage sales, Craigslist, etc. and practice. Other than the business cards, see my comments above.

Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster