I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bamboo finish
Posted by: mike buriak (---.mdtapa.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: May 05, 2012 01:35PM

Ok...
so I need opinions , advice... after wrapping the guides... was planing on doing 3 coats of minwax poly on the wraps, and then using a dip tube filled with it. (pvc tube) 4in. per min.
silk green with black tips on the wraps. water based poly to preserve the color a little...
how do you guys finish, what are the steps.... my 1st bamboo attempt. what finish do you recommend....alot you use spar varnish for some reason? I might like a gloss finish on a blonde bamboo fly rod..?...need your help guys before I tackle the finish aspect of the rod.....
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bamboo finish
Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.wireless.fsr.net)
Date: May 05, 2012 03:24PM

Mike,

If you have wrapped the rod the following applies:

Three coats of poly on the wraps will do a good job of preserving the color.

The water based poly will coat and protect the rod well. Using a spar version of poly or a spar varnish will provide extra protection for the inevitable exposure to water and UV rays. Poly and varnish are very different and may require somewhat different approaches...at least they do for me.

Dipping the rod with a withdrawal rate of 4 inches per minute will work fine. If you experience runs, slow it down a bit. I use an old reel with a stong click and a pulley; and then crank 4-5 clicks every 10-15 seconds to lift the rod section from the dip tube.

Lately, I have gone to applying the finish with a brush and tend to like that better. I apply the poly full strength. I dilute the varnish 3:1 with mineral spirits. I use multiple coats with light steel wool rubbing between applications. I use a brush cut square on the end and trimmed to about 1/4 inch wide.

You can touch up any "issues" in the final finish coat by using rottenstone and rubbing the imperfections by hand.

If you have not wrapped the rod yet, this is my preferred way:

Finish the blank before doing the wrapping using the techniques described above.

Wrap the guides. Finish the guide wraps using your favorite color preserver and epoxy wrap finish just as you would on a fiberglass or graphite rod.

This tends to be much easier and works great. It also assures the blank beneath the wraps is adequately protected from future damage.

Be happy to discuss it further...email me at joe@blackdogtackle.com

Joe Douglas

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 05, 2012 03:40PM

There are many This is one I go too.
many fine bamboo builders Check it out And you can Google up many more
[classicflyrodforum.com]

You can Dip - Whip it on - brush it on And dribble
What ever you find is easy for you and gives you a nicer look

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: May 07, 2012 07:26AM

I've refinished/restored probably a hundred bamboo rods over the years.
I'll start by saying that every old school rod manufacturer used something different for CP. some used shellac, lacquer,or nothing. so your use of water based varnish is fine.
I usually use the dip method using spar varnish. I usually use Man of War(just ran out) or Ace Hardware brand spar. my withdraw system uses an old BBQ motor with a shaft sized to pull about 3" per min. I usually thin about 10%.

lately I've been doing alot of the same make of rod that has not needed any guides rewrapped. just new varnish. for these I've used a modified take on the "turkey baster" method. I got some hair color applicator bottles from the beauty supply store. filled them with about 4 oz of thinned varnish. warmed the bottle in some warm water for about 10 min. then with a catch pan below you basically dribble/run the varnish down the rod. I usually apply a few drops between the guides then starting at the top work the varnish down a flaat.turn the rod and do the nest flat until all are covered.. give the rod a little shake up and down to get things moving . let it drain for a min or two then hang to dry. on the next coat I usually reverse direction so if the first coat goes butt to tip the second coat goes tip to butt. Usually 2 coats on tips and sometimes 3 on mid and butts.
HTH

Posted by: mike buriak (209.50.143.---)
Date: May 07, 2012 01:08PM

sorry started a new thread by mistake...
but its ok to do wraps with water based poly..and then using spar to dip.... thought the water based poly would save the green wraps color a little...or will the water based spar brushed on the wraps do the same..

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: May 07, 2012 01:10PM

I mis typed , too early not enough caffine. water based poly is OK as a CP. I will darken the wraps very slightly but not too bad. when in doubt do a test run on some scrape.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster