I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Divine Ratio
Posted by: Joe Johnson (---.static.orml010.digis.net)
Date: May 01, 2012 02:42PM

I just read and article that started a train of thought.

Just for quick info the ratio is 1:1.618 and is called Phi. This isn't new but it's very interesting.

This group of builders might really latch onto this.

So how could this ratio be used for rod building? Could it create the next big thing? Who knows but this should be great food for thought.

Here's a link to the article.

[www.ksl.com]

Maybe the diameter of the rod vs the handle for most comfort or performance? Or stepping down from one size ring to the next? Just thoughts.

Any feedback? I'd love to hear some ideas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 02:43PM by Joe Johnson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Divine Ratio
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 01, 2012 03:12PM

It won't necessarily create proper ergonomics in terms of handle diameter, shape, etc. But the "Golden Ratio," as I was brought up to refer to it, has certain aesthetic credentials.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: May 01, 2012 04:10PM

"Pretty much any spiral you see occurring in nature follows the rules of the Golden Ratio."

Not sure I'd space my guides on an acid rod on this ratio - LOL

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2012 05:10PM

That is very interesting. It's weird how 2 people can use the same color combination on a guide wrap, only difference is length - yet one looks more appealing than the other. I'm gonna play around and measure some stuff now.

I remember Dale Clemens in ACRB stating that grip inlays look best in groups of 3,and I built a lot of grips keeping that sentence in the back of my mind when deciding what to do.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 01, 2012 05:52PM

Blly you probably will spend a restless night contemplating numberical concepts of the departed -

Even and odd numbers related to Yin-Yang and the Five Concepts probably preceeded the Divine Stuff.

If you figure out why three inlay metallic passes sells better than two lemmo know!

Down in the Lousiiana Marsh our two laws of nature involve gumbo and boudin - puts us to sleep quickly and keep us from thinking about anything while we snore.

Don't let the fallling apples crack your skull!

I will await the Vivionian Six Laws of Twisting Thread

Will not even ask to see the derivation of the equations you generate!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 05:56PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: May 01, 2012 06:05PM

Bill, with guide wraps with underwraps, I used to want to make teh 2 overwraps and teh space between guide feet the same distance. I know that didn't always look aesthetically pleasing. I like numbers, so it gives me something to play around with and keep me from doing stuff I need to be doing for 15 minutes, lol.

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 01, 2012 11:56PM

Pretty hard for me to see how the fibonacci series would work into building rods. (ie. 0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 . . . . ) The ratio based off this series, phi, makes for a pretty rectangle and interesting spiral, but..... Lots of other ratio's can be used similarly in aesthetics--such as square root of 2 = 1.14 or the square root of 3 = 1.17. But I suspect that using column orders would work better for fishing rods. What about windings based on the Doric order, with about 6 diameters of length, plus tippings proportioned as the capitol and or entablature. Thinner longer items could be based on the more elegant orders--Ionic or Corinthian, with both plinth and entablature proportions specified.

Or perhaps windings could be designed based on the necessary length to hold the guides, the spacings based on functions of loading the rods evenly, and handle diameters based on the ergonomics of the users.

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 01, 2012 11:56PM

Pretty hard for me to see how the fibonacci series would work into building rods. (ie. 0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 . . . . ) The ratio based off this series, phi, makes for a pretty rectangle and interesting spiral, but..... Lots of other ratio's can be used similarly in aesthetics--such as square root of 2 = 1.14 or the square root of 3 = 1.17. But I suspect that using column orders would work better for fishing rods. What about windings based on the Doric order, with about 6 diameters of length, plus tippings proportioned as the capitol and or entablature. Thinner longer items could be based on the more elegant orders--Ionic or Corinthian, with both plinth and entablature proportions specified.

Or perhaps windings could be designed based on the necessary length to hold the guides, the spacings based on functions of loading the rods evenly, and handle diameters based on the ergonomics of the users.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 02, 2012 12:48AM

I think it could very well apply to rod building. I intend to apply it to guide spacing and compare the result to the new concept as well as 27X. It may apply to esthetics or rod balance as well. Will be interesting to experiment with. I read the article a while ago and thought then that it makes sense that there could be an application in there somewhere. Glad to see someone else is interested.

Harry T. Bell

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 02, 2012 02:16AM

One simple application for applying the golden ratio is to insert a trim ring in a rod grip. For example, if you wanted a 10 inch rear grip and a 4 inch fore grip, you could place a trim ring in each grip according to the golden ratio. According to what I read this would be the most "eye pleasing" division of the grip into two pieces. Using a 1/8 inch or 1/16 inch plastic ring you could easily divide according to the golden ratio. Wouldn't Euclid be surprised at this application.

You can Google "Golden Ratio and choose the following URL: [mathworld.wolfram.com]

Have fun.

Mike Blomme

Date: May 02, 2012 06:52AM

When I size my grip inlays, about 75% of the time I make the image 4" long and 2.5" wide. This usually distorts the image a little bit, but it always comes out looking good when it's on the round grip. I dida quick spreadsheet for numbers from 1 to 40, divided by and multiplyied by this magic number to make it easier if somone wante dto check gripo lengths, or guide wrap lenghts, guide spacing, etc.

Number divide ……….. multiply
1 ……….. 0.62 ……….. 1.62
2 ……….. 1.24 ……….. 3.24
3 ……….. 1.85 ……….. 4.85
4 ……….. 2.47 ……….. 6.47
5 ……….. 3.09 ……….. 8.09
6 ……….. 3.71 ……….. 9.71
7 ……….. 4.33 ……….. 11.33
8 ……….. 4.94 ……….. 12.94
9 ……….. 5.56 ……….. 14.56
10 ……….. 6.18 ……….. 16.18
11 ……….. 6.80 ……….. 17.80
12 ……….. 7.42 ……….. 19.42
13 ……….. 8.03 ……….. 21.03
14 ……….. 8.65 ……….. 22.65
15 ……….. 9.27 ……….. 24.27
16 ……….. 9.89 ……….. 25.89
17 ……….. 10.51 ……….. 27.51
18 ……….. 11.12 ……….. 29.12
19 ……….. 11.74 ……….. 30.74
20 ……….. 12.36 ……….. 32.36
21 ……….. 12.98 ……….. 33.98
22 ……….. 13.60 ……….. 35.60
23 ……….. 14.21 ……….. 37.21
24 ……….. 14.83 ……….. 38.83
25 ……….. 15.45 ……….. 40.45
26 ……….. 16.07 ……….. 42.07
27 ……….. 16.69 ……….. 43.69
28 ……….. 17.30 ……….. 45.30
29 ……….. 17.92 ……….. 46.92
30 ……….. 18.54 ……….. 48.54
31 ……….. 19.16 ……….. 50.16
32 ……….. 19.78 ……….. 51.78
33 ……….. 20.40 ……….. 53.40
34 ……….. 21.01 ……….. 55.01
35 ……….. 21.63 ……….. 56.63
36 ……….. 22.25 ……….. 58.25
37 ……….. 22.87 ……….. 59.87
38 ……….. 23.49 ……….. 61.49
39 ……….. 24.10 ……….. 63.10

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 06:55AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.dyn124.wfu.edu)
Date: May 02, 2012 09:02AM

I built a golden ratio caliper and use it often when to determine positioning of trim rings in handles and lengths of decorative wraps. I made it out of cardboard and pins. Here's a link the plans:

[www.quantumbalancing.com]

Posted by: Sean Liew (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: May 24, 2012 04:10PM

Richard Glabach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Pretty much any spiral you see occurring in
> nature follows the rules of the Golden Ratio."
>
> Not sure I'd space my guides on an acid rod on
> this ratio - LOL

You might not have been spacing your guide with it but, I can tell you that it is one essential element in ACID ROD.

0 to 60 to 120 to 180

same as 0,1,1,2,3 with reference to the interger sequence.

I'll proof it to you.

n+1=n1+n1=N2+n1=N3

Therefore:
0 = 0 degrees = Stripper guide
n+1=1 =60=1st bumper
n1+n1=1+1=2=120=2nd bumper
1+2=3=180 = and behold ............

I've been away from rod building for the past 6 yrs and for some reason, I felt extremely compelled to return. I was toying with the idea of applying FIbo or the golden ratio to my rejuvernated interest and decided to work on a warm up rod.
If it helps anyone exploring on this front of possiblities I'd suggest you start with a fulcrum. It could be you wrap or weave and then put in the ratios or inverse ratios to discover lengths of the next fitting.

For now, I'll need to get my fundamentals back...trying to grip that spool of thread correctly... lol..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster