I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abu Garcia Reel message boards
Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 29, 2012 09:42PM

Hey does anyone know of any message boards out there for the Abu Garcia fishing reels. I am a bit of a collector of their older Garcia reels and am always looking for info on them. I have searched for a site with guys like myself to discuss but have not been able to find any such message forum. Anyone know of a good location I have have missed.

On another topic has anyone messed with replacing the bearings in their reels with the new "ceramic" series bearings. I believe they call this hot rodding a reel. Just curious of outcome ..

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abu Garcia Reel message boards
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2012 12:19AM

Try The Reel Doctor Forum.

[www.thereeldoctor.co.uk]

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2012 05:13AM

Regarding ceramic bearings, I would first evaluate the condition of the spool before investing in ceramic bearings.

Is there vibration in the spool on a long or hard cast? If there is vibration, can the spool be balanced using the humping method? If you can’t eliminate vibration then little purpose is served by using ceramic bearings.

There are other sources of vibration such as bent spindles and bearings that fit loosely into the spool. After you have a proper spool, you may want to consider ceramic bearings.

I can’t speak for others, personally I use steel bearings in my fishing reels and ceramic bearings in my tournament reels. My reason for using ceramic bearings is to minimize the effect of temperature variations in my travels. Traveling from Hawaii to New Jersey may have a 40 degree drop in temperature. This temperature change would impact the viscosity of the oil in the bearings. With the use of ceramic bearings, I can use a rust inhibitor instead of oil and therefore have more consistent running bearings with large changes in temperature.

Here's an article written by Neil MacKellow, a world know tournament caster

[www.veals.co.uk]

Don Becker

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: April 30, 2012 09:26AM

WOW dude you just took that to a whole new level. I had never really thought about any of what you just mentioned but it is something to think about. I just happened to run across an article somewhere that listed upgrade kits etc for reels. Since I like the old Abu's that sometimes have no bearings I thought it may be of benefit.

Now you have me wonding what exactly the "Humping" method is ?????

Donald Becker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regarding ceramic bearings, I would first evaluate
> the condition of the spool before investing in
> ceramic bearings.
>
> Is there vibration in the spool on a long or hard
> cast? If there is vibration, can the spool be
> balanced using the humping method? If you can’t
> eliminate vibration then little purpose is served
> by using ceramic bearings.
>
> There are other sources of vibration such as bent
> spindles and bearings that fit loosely into the
> spool. After you have a proper spool, you may want
> to consider ceramic bearings.
>
> I can’t speak for others, personally I use
> steel bearings in my fishing reels and ceramic
> bearings in my tournament reels. My reason for
> using ceramic bearings is to minimize the effect
> of temperature variations in my travels. Traveling
> from Hawaii to New Jersey may have a 40 degree
> drop in temperature. This temperature change would
> impact the viscosity of the oil in the bearings.
> With the use of ceramic bearings, I can use a rust
> inhibitor instead of oil and therefore have more
> consistent running bearings with large changes in
> temperature.
>
> Here's an article written by Neil MacKellow, a
> world know tournament caster
>
> [www.veals.co.uk]-
> abu-6500-ct/

Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.142.223.19.nwinternet.com)
Date: April 30, 2012 11:49AM

Tackletour has a tuning forum and there are a lot of guys on there, me included, who have a thing for Abu's. Plenty of information on there regardingnupgrading the bearings, brakes, gearing, levelwind, handles, etc. If you're into reel customization, tackletour is the place to visit.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2012 02:10PM

Humping a spool means to build a small hump of line when you first start replacing the line on your reel. There are different theories regarding the process and why it works to balance a spool. The issue is that it does work. People use one, two, or three humps to balance the spool. The only down side is that the process will either make the balance better or worse. If it is worse, you will need to remove the line from the spool and try again. Most tournament casters feel that the first 25 to 30 yards of line that you put on a spool are the most important. For this reason, the line is not completely removed when replacing line with fresh line.

Here's additional information.

[www.total-fishing.com]

You can find better pictures if you do a google search.

Don Becker

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.sub-174-254-161.myvzw.com)
Date: April 30, 2012 04:43PM

Casey,

Check your email

Don

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 04:44PM by Don O'Neil.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 01, 2012 06:20AM

Casey, it sorta depends on what you are trying to do. It is one thing to want a good casting reel. It is quite another to want something that can win contests. For what most of us are doing Alan Tani and Mike's reel repair will help.

The problem with the older abu's with bushings is that they require a non-standard size bearing. It can be bought but they cost a lot more. There are more than enough advances to make a somewhat newer reel the platform to consider. The 6500C3 is a nice choice.

The main advantage to ceramic bearings has to do with lubrication requirements. IMHO I wouldn't be in a big hurry until I had exhausted other options. Just removing sheilds, cleaning with brake cleaner, and using a drop or two of oil will probably be all you need/want. Going down that path will require that you re-oil often. I like to remove the level wind too.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: May 01, 2012 01:08PM

Hey all thanks for the help. The sites you mentioned have been a great resource. I plan to visit them and see what knowledge I can gain.

I understand the older ABU's are probably not the best platform for mods. I for whatever reason just like the design and its what I use most of the time when I fish. So there is really no reason for me to tinker with these reels other than I just like to tinker.. LOL

It seems that adding a few BB's in place of some outdated bushings will not be that big of a deal. Where im really excited to see what happens is when bearings are added to the worm gear. To me that has to be one major area for improvment.

Anyways im not looking for a tournament distance reel. Just an excuse to tinker

thanks

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: May 01, 2012 07:36PM

My experience: I have a 6500C3 that I use for salmon and steelhead in Western Canada.
I switched from the stock bearings to ABEC7 ceramic and included the level wind bearing upgrade (from Mike's Reel Repair) and got 50% more distance under all conditions. It is now a much better performing reel than my buddy's Calcutta 400TE for much lower price.
I didn't look at the original bearings so I don't know how much could be gained by cleaning and lubing with super light oil.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 02, 2012 08:54AM

I did this with a pair of black 9000C 's .
I settled at ABEC 5 as with 4+ oz being cranked out there its about as good as i can control consistently.
Yes i can sometimes cast farther with better bearings but not consistently.
Its also more affordable if that is important to you.
get smoothies for your drag, also dump the level wind. It will affect your cast. But getting rid of it also affects your rod design so bear that in mind..

Date: May 02, 2012 09:28AM

Lou Auret Wrote:
> I did this with a pair of black 9000C 's .
> I settled at ABEC 5 as with 4+ oz being cranked
> out there its about as good as i can control
> consistently.
> Yes i can sometimes cast farther with better
> bearings but not consistently.
> Its also more affordable if that is important to
> you.
> get smoothies for your drag, also dump the level
> wind. It will affect your cast. But getting rid of
> it also affects your rod design so bear that in
> mind..

What do you mean by dump the levelwind????

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 02, 2012 10:21AM

Do not have or use a level wind.
Buy a reel without it or remove it and all its gears etc yourself.
Thumb the line.
It often casts greater distances without it .
Also the line sort of naturally forms a cone at first in the middle of the spool (the humping you refered to earlier) and then you push it to one side and you get less wobble when casting etc.

Trolling type reels, bass or bottom dropping etc yes level wind is great, but for big casting? A 6000 is starting to get to big casting to me.

Research it some more on reel forums ( some aussie ones and Europen distance casting ones): this is a rodbuilding one so its off subject.
On subject: take note it will need you to make adjustments to the guide train for optimal distance and control.
The line is NOT coming off the spool through a size 6 or 7 ring within an inch or two of the face of the spool.
The sharp angle between line comming off the spool and level wind 'guide' is removed and the line acts differently as a result.
Also spiral/acid wraps without a level wind need to be thought about differently.

Date: May 02, 2012 12:05PM

Lou Auret Wrote:
> Do not have or use a level wind.
> Buy a reel without it or remove it and all its
> gears etc yourself.
> Thumb the line.
> It often casts greater distances without it .
> Also the line sort of naturally forms a cone at
> first in the middle of the spool (the humping you
> refered to earlier) and then you push it to one
> side and you get less wobble when casting etc.
>
> Trolling type reels, bass or bottom dropping etc
> yes level wind is great, but for big casting? A
> 6000 is starting to get to big casting to me.
>
> Research it some more on reel forums ( some aussie
> ones and Europen distance casting ones): this is
> a rodbuilding one so its off subject.
> On subject: take note it will need you to make
> adjustments to the guide train for optimal
> distance and control.
> The line is NOT coming off the spool through a
> size 6 or 7 ring within an inch or two of the face
> of the spool.
> The sharp angle between line comming off the
> spool and level wind 'guide' is removed and the
> line acts differently as a result.
> Also spiral/acid wraps without a level wind need
> to be thought about differently.

Okay I dont think thats something that I need to get into. Im not looking for crazy casting distances... Just a smoother reel.. and I like to tinker

thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster