I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DIY Rod Dryer
Posted by: Tyler Bulin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 03:59PM

Hey everybody, I got my blank and guides, wrap, and all the other stuff. I built the wrapper on the library page, but need a dryer. looking through old posts i found someone made a dryer with a rotisire motor, I have one left around, but have no idea how to make one with it. All ideas are welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DIY Rod Dryer
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 27, 2012 05:02PM

Take a look on the Photo Page (you have to register and log in separately) and look under Equipment and you will get tons of info

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 05:06PM

If you are going to make your own
Here check this out [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 27, 2012 05:12PM

Thanks, and is 2.4 rpm a good speed or too slow for a dryer?

Date: April 27, 2012 06:19PM

I find that at lest 80 rpm some builders do faster - just to put the finish on works well And it helps to make your finish lines straighter

Then if you are getting Foot balls i stop the turner and let any extra drip off
Several thin coats works better then trying to load one coat on
Once it is all coated I wait about an hour then turn at a lot slower rate

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2012 04:23AM by bill boettcher.

Date: April 27, 2012 06:35PM

Thanks Bill, and I was just talking to my dad about this and (apparently) he just stood them up overnight in his garrage when he used to build them.

Date: April 27, 2012 06:48PM

What type of finish did he use and how thin
Did he get sages or drips

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.207.---)
Date: April 27, 2012 08:16PM

I use a 6 to 7 RPM rotisserie motor and it works fine. When I first started building rod I turned them by hand.

Date: April 27, 2012 09:06PM

Bill he doesn't remember what brand, but it was a average thickness, and him and his friends who worked on them turned them for about an hour before standing it up, he didnt get drips or sages often. Bruce, thanks just needed to make sure they would work.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2012 11:59PM

Most epoxies today will still sag or run after turning for only one hour when standing the rod on end. If he was using a varnish or something similar to Permagloss or Lumiseal, then maybe it wouldn't sag or run. I would suggest that you read this article first: [www.rodbuilding.org]

I generally use an 18 rpm or a 36 rpm motor for application and drying. I like both of them. I apply my epoxy on the dryer so anything below 11 rpm's is too slow for me. You may have to try a slow one and a fast one to see which one you like best. The dryer motors are inexpensive and can be purchased from many of the vendors on the left.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns1.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 28, 2012 03:52AM

I use a motor from an old microwave oven which turns at 5 RPM. I use this for both application and drying and it works fine. I'm completely happy with the results.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: April 28, 2012 04:58AM

I use the same setup on a home made dryer as Dale & also have no problems what so ever

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2012 09:03AM

If you have any interest, you might check out small 6 or 12 volt dc gear motors.

[www.sciplus.com]

For example there is a 12 volt motor at 7 rpm that makes an excellent drying motor.

Then, just pick up a plug in 12 volt low current power supply and you will be good to go.

[www.sciplus.com]

One of the nice things about these motors is the very robust construction of the gear train and the nice extended robust shaft on the motor. Also, the operation of the motor is virtually silent.

Build a stand for the motor, put a chuck on the shaft and you have your dryer.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2012 04:40PM

Here is an interesting dryer that runs on batteries with a 400 hour battery life and complete with chuck and stand - sells for $10.
Pretty good value I would think.

[www.nuwavetackle.com]

Roger

Posted by: John Araki (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2012 10:25PM

I went on amazon and got this disco ball motor: [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2012 03:40PM

I built one out of an extra auger motor from a wood pellet stove.

Posted by: Fred Staley (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: June 05, 2012 11:52AM

Roger,

Could you tell me which power supply you would recommend to go with the 7rpm motor offered by sciplus? I'm electrically challenged :-) and am not sure which one would work best? Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster