I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

split seats
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.asbnva.dhcp.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 05:48PM

Good evening everyone,

I going to ask a question and I am hoping it doesn't start one of those "Ford, Chevy, Dodge" type of discussions. I am doing a rod for myself and I would like feedback from those of you who are using split seats.

I would like to know what are the strong suites (yes I am aware of the weight savings) of the different types. I am considering the Fuji SK2 type and the Phenix style.. Any and all responses are welcome. (except one that says buy each and decide)

Thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: split seats
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 07:27PM

I just used a Fuji SK2 for the first time and I really like it. It is very comfortable IMO and looks clean. For large crankbait rods I would recommend using a Castaway type seat or make your own by cutting because of the amount of flex all the way through the butt can sometimes cause the reel to pop out of the seat. You just have to make sure you have a good platform for the reel foot. I don't know exactly how much weight savings, but every little bit adds up. I like to use them when I can. I have not tried the Phenix style but it looks like a nice seat. The SK2 is a good strong reel seat. Just make sure to fit the rear grip before you install because the trigger part has a smaller I.D. than others and you may have to cut down the grip to fit inside or purchase one of the new trim rings offered.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 10:04PM

Thomas,
I know of no advantages, but a lot of disadvantages.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2012 07:04AM

Roger, please list the disatvantages. I have built several for an Elite Pro angler with no problems at all. I know of only one problem and I mentioned that above.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: April 27, 2012 07:32AM

Ok Roger, may I ask that you list said "disadvantages?" I understand they are uncomfortable on smaller daimeter blanks. This will be installed on a blank with a diamater of 13.0mm at the seat.

thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 08:14AM

It depends on whether you are talking about spinning or casting reel seats. I have never built a split spinning seat, but have done several split casting.

My experience is that how you hold the reel is a big factor as to whether the split casting seat is comfortable.

I use Shimano low profile reels (Curado and Citica) mostly. I hold the reel in the palm of my hand during the retrieve. My index finger tend to rest against the front reel seat hood on a split seat and sometimes even on a split and standard Castaway seat. It can get uncomfortable after a while. That being said, I prefer to fish with an exposed blank, as most of my fishing is worms and jigs.

Thomas, my worm and jig rods are size 12 to 12.5.

You might ask the user how they hold the reel.

Bert

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 08:21AM

Discomfort.
For the way that I fish, my hand is all up and down the grip and blank from time to time.
I simply don't like any discontinuities in the grip from the butt of the rod to the blank in front of the reel seat.

I also tend to use rod holders a great deal which is not necessarily part of the "split reel seat" question, but since I no longer build any split grip handles, I don't like the appearance either of a split reel seat with a full handle grip.

If a person prefers the split reel seat - by all means use it. If a person prefers a split grip, by all means use it.

I have built many rods using both due to client demand; it is just that neither of these are for myself and my style fishing.

Be safe and build well.

Roger

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: April 27, 2012 12:39PM

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate all the input. I typically palm the reel and have not had any discomfort as of yet. I don't use any rod holders (except for my hands) of any type and with the diameter of the blank being of decent size and with having slightly smaller hands I think I will give the Phenix a try.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster