I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
spinning reel
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 03:46AM

Any suggestions for the lightest spinning reel (less than 8oz) for walleye.with an 8ft graphite MHX blank, ML/F, 6-14 line? Need to max. casting distance with light jigs. Will also be using it with spinners and to drift.
Need to keep the cost below $60.00. Thanks

Harry T. Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinning reel
Posted by: Nick Christou (---.net.rss.rogers.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 07:41AM

I am thinking for that price point a Plueger President.

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 09:03AM

Ouch, had a Plueger President that I used lightly-did not last two seasons before the bail started to give me fits. Been real happy with Penn Fierce/Sargus/Battle series. The Penn Fierce can be had for $60 up to a 4000 size. Only the 1000 size will fit you wieght requirment @7.7 oz, but will leave you wanting in the drag department. I think you'll find that issue with any line of reels even at the high end money wise. To stay under 8 oz you'll be in the ultra light family of reels and the drags are not ment for anything much over pan fish and small trout. I caught a 2 1/2 lb bass once on an ultra light set up; the rod was'nt the problem as it was bent over and locked up hard all the way into the handle, but from a reel stand point the fish owned me.

In reality you'l need a 3000 or 4000 size reel to do what you need in the drag department, and that will put you at under/over 12 onces. In choosing a reel, remembering that a reel is not a winch but merely a place to store line, we look at the drag # and line capacity followed by the gear ratio in some cases-size and weight will be whatever needs be.

Chuck

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 26, 2012 09:14AM

Some of the newer Abu garcia models are worth looking at (the orra is braid ready).
If you are using braid you can go to a much smaller reel too.

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 09:21AM

Harry,
If you can spring for the Daiwa Aird is an amazing reel for around $75, or you could take a look at the Abu Garcia Orra they are pretty nice and will be in that price range.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 09:23AM

Daiwa

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 11:50AM

All I use is Pflueger Presidents and I have never had any problems with any of them. I own 5 of them and 2 of them are used at least once a week.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bill Mihm (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 12:10PM

I have three Shimano Spirex for this exact application. One is six years old and going strong, retail is 59.95 I believe.

Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.142.223.19.nwinternet.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 12:18PM

Price point really limits you. You're looking for a super light spinning reel with high line capacity. I'd reccomend the Pflueger President in that price range, otherwise a Pflueger patriarch.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 12:49PM

I think the Daiwa Aird would be one of the lightest in that price range, but it may even be out of that price range.

Be careful with the Pflueger President - there are two models - the cheaper one is all plastic - the other is a metal re-enforced body. I recommend the latter.

Date: April 26, 2012 01:44PM

I agree with Gary. Get the metal body. Also, in case you didn't know, Pflueger makes certain Gander Mt. GSX reels with a metal body. Very good reel for about $10 less than the President. You have to look at them and compare them to find the ones that are made by Pflueger. I think they are the GSX Tournament series.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 09:59PM

Same deal with Diawa and Cabelas, as mentioned above at Gander Mt.

Date: April 26, 2012 10:05PM

I tend to look at drag smoothness, number of ball bearings, spool size/material, gear ratio and instant anti-reverse. Pfluegers tend to do well in those areas, especially for the price. Some of the Pfluegers are much more expensive but I haven't found it necessary to spend over $100 on a good light spinning reel.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 10:07PM

Harry,
I personally like the Bass Pro - large spool reels. These are very light reels with price point of 50,75 and 100 depending on the model.
They all tend to have a high speed retrieve that I like very much.

When I compare the casting distance of these large spool reels, I find that it outcasts all of my smaller spool reels.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 10:48PM

i suggest the Pflueger President. cant get any better than that for the price point.
if money wasn't an option and you wanted the lightest possible, the Pflueger Patriarch is the reel to get.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 11:32PM

Shimano Sedona 1000FD. 7.7 ounces and a solid little reel.

Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.142.223.19.nwinternet.com)
Date: April 27, 2012 11:57AM

Gary Snyder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the Daiwa Aird would be one of the
> lightest in that price range, but it may even be
> out of that price range.
>
> Be careful with the Pflueger President - there are
> two models - the cheaper one is all plastic - the
> other is a metal re-enforced body. I recommend the
> latter.

My friend has been using a plastic body old style president for YEARS with no issues. They are absolutely the best budget spinning reel on the market in that price range.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 01:03PM

try this
[www.gofishin.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: david jones (---.sub-174-252-179.myvzw.com)
Date: April 28, 2012 12:08PM

try looking at the lews ss100 it comes in at 7.7oz with 10 bearings. this is the only brand of reels i have used for years have never had a problem

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: April 28, 2012 01:03PM

David Dosser quote:

...Pflueger makes certain Gander Mt. GSX reels with a metal body. Very good reel for about $10 less than the President. You have to look at them and compare them to find the ones that are made by Pflueger. I think they are the GSX Tournament series.

- I forgot about those. They are even better than the President with their all metal construction.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster