I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Spinning Guides
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2012 12:41PM

Do most builders when wrapping spinning guides for a spinning rod put your tucks on top or bottom or the side of the rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Spinning Guides
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.98.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 25, 2012 01:13PM

On the bottom where they can't be seen.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 01:27PM

I put the tucks where they are strongest. I find that that is on the side of the rod that is on the side opposite from the guide foot. I do the same thing for any wrap that I am doing. i.e. tuck on side opposite guide foot.

Roger

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2012 01:51PM

On a spinning rod, the guide is on the bottom, so I usually tuck on the lower side of the rod, just before the last wrap reaches the point where it starts to lift up to go over the guide foot. The tucks where is start the wrap are on the bottom. I try to put all the tucks on the same side of the rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 06:34PM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 01:54PM

Yep been there and if it gets near the channel near the guide foot it will be useless When doing a spiral wrap I got to look at where the butt guide is cause some guides are turned and you would want the tuck on the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 07:19PM

Bill,
Exactly.
That is why I typically put the wrap on the side of the blank that is opposite the guide foot. That way, the wrap does not get into the channel and become useless.

Roger

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 05:24AM

roger 2X opposite the guide

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 10:38AM

I always try to put the tie-offs away from the side of the rod normally visible to the angler. With spinning guides, putting the tuck in the tunnel is a really bad idea so I put them on the side of the rod where the thread is transitioning from the top of the rod (opposite the guide) to the side. That way, the thread is tucked under solidly, and pulling toward the top of the rod away from the tunnel. If you put them on the other side, where the thread transitions from the guide to the side of the rod, the tie-off pulls toward the tunnel and can lead to the wrap coming loose. This gets tougher as you move to the tip and some of the tie-offs do end up more on the top of the rod.

Nothing wrong with putting them on the top of the rod away from the guide. This is the most secure location and if you burnish well, it's not very noticeable.

Terry

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 12:02PM

I put them on the side of the blank on spinning rods.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.133.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 01:36PM

It's noticeable on the top and sides. This is why i do tie offs (tucks) on the bottom, and i'm sure most builders do. As long as you are wrapping fairly tight and do more than a few turns after you've put your pull through loop in, it wont come undone or be weaker after cp/ finish is applied.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster