I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rethinking my 8wt guide setup
Posted by: Scott Kloosterman (50.33.200.---)
Date: April 24, 2012 04:17PM

I was about ready to start building a 9'6" 8wt for carp and mousing. My thought was to go 20, 16,12, to a #5 DF and then #3 DFs to a large TT. The reason for this setup was simple, this is close to how the textbook says to do it. Now after reading some recent posts and remembering some older ones I think it may be time to retool. Current thinking is to go 14, 10, then ceramic single foot 6s to a matching TT. After a quick look to the left it apears that the guides may be 4-5 times more money than the first setup. Im not real familiar with the micro guides having only built flyrods so alittle help would be nice, but mainly looking for thoughts on the setup.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rethinking my 8wt guide setup
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2012 04:28PM

You'll want to make sure that #6's will pass all your required connections. Otherwise you'll be fine. You do not need 5 different guide sizes on that rod. That accomplishes nothing.

Not sure you can find a #14 guide - I'd use a high frame (spinning type) #16 there.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2012 05:24PM

On my 8wts I used single foot wire running guides. I use security wraps and have never had one pull out. My standard setup is 16, 12, 5, 3,3,3,3,3,3 with a large wire tip top. These are mostly saltwater rods. On larger wt rods I use Amtack Titanium Ring Lock guides which are very expensive.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: April 24, 2012 05:37PM

last year I did an 8wt carp rod on an old Herters fiberglass blank.
If I remember right,I can double check, I used 16 and 12 strippers, then an 8 single foot and 6's the rest of the way out with a standard TT.
I used fuji alconites which kept the cost down quite a bit and I think they still perform well.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: April 24, 2012 11:53PM

Those single foot ceramic 6's will be really small. Might work, but at the limit if you know what I mean. 7's would be a better choice and even 8s would work well.

I have 1 8wt with ceramics, and just replaced AT NIRLFs #7s with Fuji TKTAG 7s due to bending issues with the NIRLF guides. Definitely would not want to go smaller than 7s for what I do with it. Also, I built this rod last year as an experiment with ceramics on a fly rod, and while I like the way it fishes, the 8 weights I have built since have been with REC snake guides and a ceramic titanium tip (Fiji TFAT). To me, the ceramic tip-top at the tip is great, but harder to tell in the running guides.

Drew

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 09:19AM

My saltwater fly set ups are close to what Bob detailed in terms of sizing. I stopped using the ceramic running guides in favor of the REC double foot snakes for my 8wt's and above. I think the REC snakes hold up a bit better for those who fish out of a skiff or bay boat. Most store their rods in under gunwhale racks with the tip section in some sort of tube. As you slide the rod tip into the tube, you have to be careful not to catch a guide on the edge of that tube. In bumpy conditions, becomes that much more difficult so my feeling is why risk a potential problem on the water. Just a personal preference based upon my experiences out on the water. Similar to Drew, I like the ceramic Fuji top.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 10:23AM

I am going to throw in my two cents and recommend you use your original setup except drop the #20 stripper and go 16, 12. I suggest Batson LXN or Fuji KW strippers rather than UD or N style. Double foot snake guides let knots and loops pass through more easily.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 11:20AM

Greg Foy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am going to throw in my two cents and recommend
> you use your original setup except drop the #20
> stripper and go 16, 12. I suggest Batson LXN or
> Fuji KW strippers rather than UD or N style.
> Double foot snake guides let knots and loops pass
> through more easily.

Agree with this completely. Especially the Fuji KW guides as strippers. The titanium ones are expensive but super solid and beautifully finished. The normal stainless ones have the best finish I have seen on any rod guides from any manufacturer.

I have also used the Batson guides and prefer the look of the MXNs over the LXNs on a medium heavy rod like this. If you use the Batson guides, make sure you get the ones with the part number starting with "X" as they have the better grade of stainless.

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster