I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger Wrap troube
Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 17, 2012 10:50PM

Im trying my first Tiger wrap and am having trouble keeping the 2 different threads from overlapping each other.

Any specific trick you all are using to keep each thread separate ?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger Wrap troube
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.airband.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 08:08AM

I like to use two bobbin holders. You can hold them with the tips very close and spin your rod on a power wrapper. Just be careful not to get to much tension on the thread so you have room to burnish.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.141.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 18, 2012 08:18AM

Casey, i just hold the two threads with my thumb and fore finger, and keep another finger in between the two threads to stop them tangling and start wrapping, occasionaly they wrap over each other, but i just reverse and start again, just takes practise.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 10:00AM

I assume your talking about the base wrap, but either way I do it the same. I've only done a few but I found it helps me to strip one of the colors off a spool and stretch it out so it wont tangle and lay it next to the thread coming off the spool and wrap. I make sure my hands are clean plus wipe my fingers down with DNA and use fingers to feed and tension the thread. I use a power wrapper, so if your wrapping by hand it may be a little more cumbersom.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.141.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 18, 2012 11:42AM

I do both the base and top layers by hand tension. My spools of thread lay in a plastic box and are fed through tip guides about 8 inches apart. I prefer hand tension, i don't worry about the top layer threads being perfectly straight because this all helps to create some good effects and especially if you burnish the top layer to. You can check out a few of my tigers at the rod builders library. Also doc ski has got some great tiger wrap tricks and techniques videos.

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: April 18, 2012 12:07PM

Yeah right now im trying to do it all by hand. I think once I finish my power wrapper it will help matters out.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: April 19, 2012 12:21PM

I use my American Tackle power wrapper often for tiger wraps. I added an "eye" to the center of the thread tray/trolley and have both spools feeding thru it. Though sometimes I do get overlaps still.

Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 22, 2012 06:28PM

I will run 2-4 threads on the base and top. I use a small ball chain from a pair of fingernail clippers to keep them separated. I have trouble with lines jumping with tensions out of whack. I just adjust them by feel though and roll out. I use a FC hand wrapper for my work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster