I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HMX blank
Posted by: Denis Tessmann (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 12:51AM

Just want to leave a comment on a build I did. HMX 9' 6wt. 4 pc. Really like this blank, casts like a cannon and can really feel the rod load and unload. Am using a 5wt floating for lake and you need a lot of line to make it work, but that works for me as all casts are long. Bought a 6wt intermediate and it absolutely loves this line, loads with about 30' and just gets better from there. Just finished a 4wt same blank and length, it's a lot different, the line really gets blown by wind so I'll have to wait for some smaller water before I give a review.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HMX blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 07:08AM

Try a 5 wt line on that 4 wt It may work better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 10:07AM

Thanks for the review. Probably would load well with a six weight line for fishing rivers. If possible, how much does the rod weigh total?

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 17, 2012 01:04PM

Denis,
I fished the nine foot 4wt my last three outings, on a medium sized trout stream.. It's a pleasure to present dry flies with the rod. The ERN is a little below 4.5 (don' t have my notes) and so for me fishes well with a DT4 line. I still have the five weight in this blank, and I believe the ERN was a little below 5.5. Based upon that, I expect it to fish well with a DT5 line when I get the chance to build it.

Jeff

Posted by: Denis Tessmann (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 01:15PM

Haven't got a scale that will measure the weight of the rods, I did us the minimal wraps and finish on the 4wt. I use a reloading scale for the CCS data, the 6wt has effective rod number of 6.35 but is a fast 75 on the action angle probably why it casts distance so well, lots of reserve.
The 4wt has an effective rod number of 4.6 and an action angle of 65, from my short try with the rod I think I'm missing the backbone of the higher action angle, as the rod to me, feels underpowered but with an adjustment to the casting stroke should be overcome, as the rod should have sufficient power.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.sub-174-254-227.myvzw.com)
Date: April 17, 2012 03:41PM

Thanks Denis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster