I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

threadmaster shelf life and yellowing
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.sub-166-249-199.myvzw.com)
Date: April 16, 2012 11:51AM

I have some threadmaster that is going on 2 years old. It's pretty yellow (both parts) and some threadmaster lite that only the hardener yellowed. It seems like I remember somone saying you could microwave them or something and it helped restore clarity?? I mixed up a test batch of each and they clear up a little when mixed but they don't get clear as it should be.

Can it be saved, or do I need to bite the bullet andjust ante up for a few more bottles?

Thanks,
Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: threadmaster shelf life and yellowing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2012 01:51PM

Microwaving or heating will dissolve crystals in the resin. It will not restore clarity. What you have will mix, set and cure properly, no matter what the age.

You can buy more, but that will yellow as well, either in the bottles or later on the rod. There is no such thing as a non-yellowing epoxy.

Date: April 16, 2012 02:04PM

Hmm... Well I haven't noticed any of my finished rods from the last 5 years yellowing like this... even ones that were finished from these bottles. Maybe if you start with clear resin and hardener, you'll be much clearer for much longer.

I'll save these bottles for dark colored rods/threads or giveaway rods.

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2012 03:26PM

They have yellowed by the same amount, but you're not looking at the same thickness of finish when you look through an inch of epoxy in a bottle versus a coating that is only a half millimeter thick on a guide wrap.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2012 04:32PM

I would suggest to pitch it. If you use it with some rods someone would say that all of your new rods finish are yellow.

I did a wrap job on a rod for a youngester and he was to finish ithe rod. Needless to say he botched the finish (having never done one before) and I took the fall for it. I lost several sales due to this.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2012 05:41PM

Tom is absolutely correct! It yellows the same whether in the bottle or on the rod! If you apply the stuff you have now on a wrap, it will not appear yellow with the exception of being put over a white surface.

Toss it if you wish, but you have saved nothing.

Date: April 16, 2012 10:00PM

I'm sure you guys are right, it just feels funny to start out with yellow finish.

Re: thread master shelf life and yellowing
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 12:10AM

Keith,
If you feel even the slightest bit uncomfortable with using the product. Pitch it into the garbage and purchase a new supply of finish.
Try to purchase finish in quantities that will be used up within a year.

Good luck
Roger.

I feel like you do. Yes, I do know that the finish will change color slightly once on the rod in the sun. But, I want the product delivered to the customer to have its best possible look. So, if there is any yellow color at all to the finish - I pitch any quantity that I have on hand and purchase new.

Also, when purchasing items like this that do have a noted shelf life, try to buy from a distributor who has a quick turn around on their product. You don't want to buy a product that was packaged 5 years earlier.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: April 17, 2012 06:25AM

my TM is yellow, but not as bad as Super coat (which is brown), and the other finishes...

the important thing is to mix up all the crystals in the resin but either microwave or hot water, after which I stir.. it cures the same... and i cant really tell that it looks yellow on the rod as I dont use light colors to wrap

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster