I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carbon fibre again
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 15, 2012 10:58AM

Sounds like I still need to learn more about how to use carbon fibre. I think the idea is ti use the foam to maximize your ability to feel any force acting on your terminal line, like say a river bottom or light strike. Do you heat shrink the carbon sleeve ? I got interested because I like the look of it a lot, but if it has a real function I want to take advantage of that. I just don'y understand if you simply ream and turn the foam core,or do I need more info on this. Are there any video tutorials out there? I am grateful for you guys tho'. You all have been really helpful. Thanks again.

Harry T. Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbon fibre again
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2012 11:09AM

These grips were introduced to the rod building craft in the pages of the Volume 10 #6 issue of RodMaker Magazine. Full details on making both the cores and skinning them are included.

There are two methods for forming the skin over the cores, one is simply wetted out by hand and the other requires heat shrink (the inventors of these grips each have their own preferred method - Andy prefers wetting out by hand while I prefer heat shrinking).

Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 11:44AM

I'm lazy! It sure would be great if somebody would manufacture and sell stock sizes and shapes of carbon fiber grips.

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: April 15, 2012 11:48AM

Harry Bell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like I still need to learn more about how
> to use carbon fibre. I think the idea is ti use
> the foam to maximize your ability to feel any
> force acting on your terminal line, like say a
> river bottom or light strike. Do you heat shrink
> the carbon sleeve ? I got interested because I
> like the look of it a lot, but if it has a real
> function I want to take advantage of that. I just
> don'y understand if you simply ream and turn the
> foam core,or do I need more info on this. Are
> there any video tutorials out there? I am grateful
> for you guys tho'. You all have been really
> helpful. Thanks again.

Im in the same boat as you are. For my purposes im only interested in the astetics... and I have to say I think these grips are some of the best looking grips out there.

Im doing it a little differently than some. Im pouring the foam around a mandrel which is the same size as the rod blank. Mine are going on surf type rods so there is already a piece of a aluminum for the handle to go over.

I have also learned that the zip tie method works really well for holding the ends down. Im currently experimenting with with using a poly peel type material which may make the process even more stream lined but time will tell.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2012 02:12PM

They're somewhat labor intensive to construct. This means that a commercial offering could run you a lot more money that most would be willing to spend.

I think JP Timberlake has some for sale. No idea on the price, however.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2012 03:22PM

Here are some options.
Used them exclusively for many years before Mr. Kirkman turned me onto making my own, and depending on what I want to accomplish, still use them.
Use the tubing for solid and Tennessee handles and the Tapered Fore Grips to make slip grips

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 09:42PM

John Gaylord Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm lazy! It sure would be great if somebody would
> manufacture and sell stock sizes and shapes of
> carbon fiber grips.

John -

We've been offered premade carbon grips for some time now. We don't actively advertise them as we stay pretty busy with building them for the guys who have inquired about our services. Feel free to contact us for details regarding our offerings.

We believe we offer the best carbon grips available for sale. Shapes are very consistent and do not yellow (which in solid black get a green tint) nearly as fast as others available on the market. Here are some sample photos:

[photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Alex

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster