I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: 2013 Expo
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 05:04PM

I'm gonna refrain from posting my guess as some might say I had an unfair advantage! My magic 8-ball has been spot-on lately, except for picking Lottery numbers!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 05:16PM

I'm thinking Atlantic City

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2012 06:00PM

Since Bill seems to have started a "contest" of sorts, I'll add some specifics that any wise organizer of a rod building event would have to consider in order to have the best chance at being successful.

1. 70% of the custom rod builders in North America live east of the Mississippi River. Your event should be within a single days drive of as many of those as possible. (Bonus tip #1 - No single state nor localized region contains enough rod builders to possibly make an event the size of the Expo possible. Any such rod building event held in say, California or Florida, will never draw enough people to keep 45 to 50 or more exhibitors happy.)

2. To obtain the best attendance, your event should be held during a time of the year that does not conflict with holidays, summer vacations nor good fishing weather.

3. If you understand the statement #2, then you will also need to consider the weather during that time of year and what geographic locations are least likely to suffer harsh conditions, while still remaining within a day's drive of #1.

4. The vast majority of the exhibitors in the custom rod building industry are "mom and pop" type operations. You must choose a location and a facility that is affordable for them, while still adhering to #'s 1, 2 and 3. (Here's bonus tip #2 - Not many could possibly afford to exhibit in a place such as Las Vegas and unless you have a large number of exhibitors you will not have a large number of attendees. Union shops are an almost automatic disqualifier - most in this industry can't afford them.)

5. Because as many as 25% to 30% of your attendees will be flying in, you must locate reasonably close (20 to 30 minutes out maximum) to an international airport. But you must not upset #'s 1, 2, 3 and 4.

In short, any sort of rod building event is difficult due to the particular demographics we're dealing with. Fail to fulfill any of the above and you're looking at a lackluster event, and that's the best case scenario. However, from the criteria I've listed above, it should be easy to determine the new location of the Expo. Let's see what happens.

The winner will receive a prize courtesy of Bill Stevens.

PS High Point has been a tremendous success precisely because it meets/met all the criteria above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 09:00PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 07:32PM

My Girlfriend Ann Morgan said to post Knoxville, Tenn

Posted by: Matt Coppolino (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 07:37PM

I say Nashville, Tenn

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 09:39PM

OK ... thoughts revised to Greensboro in conjunction with the Outdoors Expo.

However, I really did like the idea of having it in Las Vegas during the same time as iCast ... "What happens in Las Vegas, stays in Las Vegas". Imagine the fun that Clyde could have in that town!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 09:41PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 10:58PM

I say Baltimore, MD?

Mitch

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 03:49AM

Baltimore would be too handy ... I say somewhere very close to Beale St in Memphis, Tenn.

Bill, should I bring tackle to the swamp?

Clyde

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2012 04:02AM

I live in Concord, NC and I am starting to hate the whole idea of moving the show....It was good while it lasted.

My best to you Tom,
Chuck

P.S.
Greenville/Spartianburg SC

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2012 04:06AM

Wow-I just thought of something, maybe it will come right down the street here in Concord...That would be Great!!!

Chuck

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 08:42AM

Scott H. I see you may be enticed to gamble -

Your magic 8 ball works on 4 x 8 bar tables -

The black one may prove to be ineffective on big tables. LL "Wimpy" enjoys 9 Ball!

Seems like Tom K is sitting on the winning ticket for this table game -

Want to Raise or go All In covering my bet that the prize for naming the Host City has not been claimed by a previous post.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 09:10AM

Hay Scott

Pick me a Stock

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Douglas Nelson (---.sub-174-254-144.myvzw.com)
Date: April 15, 2012 09:15AM

After going down Mr. Kirkman's list, and following his bonus tips!
I STILL keep my vote for Charlotte! Great place and looks like the best
choice!

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 09:45AM

The Virginia Beach Convention Center [www.visitvirginiabeach.com] maybe?

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 10:24AM

OK Bill. I gave the magic 8-ball a shake this morning and determined that it was gonna be somewhere in NC.

Knowing that the show has been in Charlotte before, I asked if there was going to be a repeat performance. it said "Very doubtful".

Being that the location has to be close to an airport, I asked it it was going to be in Greensboro....It said 'Don't count on it'.

A quick look at Google Maps and the lightbulb came on. I asked Winston-Salem. It said 'Ask again later".....so I asked again and it said "Signs point to yes"

So based on my Magic 8-Ball, my vote is Winston-Salem.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 15, 2012 02:46PM

I second Winston-Salem. I think that it almost went there recently but didn't work out. Huge convention center adjacent to hotels [visitwinstonsalem.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 06:50PM

I know that I already put in my vote but with the hints, seems something along the lines of Atlanta would meet most of the criteria..

Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 06:56PM

To far south a lot of us come from the north. Atlanta is a 15+ hour drive from NJ. It hopefully will move further North not South.

Mitch

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2012 07:08PM

And then it would be too far from the southern guests and put us in greater jeopardy of bad weather for the time of the year when something like this must be held.

There are a number of criteria that all have to be met in order for something like the Expo to work - overlook any of them and you have just another rod building show with a couple hundred people on hand, and some very disappointed exhibitors.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 07:31PM

Durham might be nice. Marriott has a convention center attached to the hotel. Pretty close to the airport, AMTRAK service, right on I-85 and I-40 & not too far off I-95. Convention center Layout looks pretty good - Rates might be ok in February / March. Then again .... what's wrong with High Point or Greensboro?

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster