I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color preserver question
Posted by: kevin gross (64.122.33.---)
Date: April 13, 2012 12:04PM

Greetings
I have some questions about color preserver and metallic thread. I am just about done wrapping a rod with metallic thread for the guide wraps. Butting up to that will be polyester thread for the trim. The polyester thread is the exact color I want it to stay so I need to make sure I give it 3 coats of color preserver. I will be using U-40 color preserver for that. My question is this. The trim butts up against the metallic thread. There is no way to cover the trim without getting some of it on the metallic thread. Will the color preserver affect the metallic thread? Should I cover both the metallic thread on the guide wraps as well as the polyester thread with the color preserver? If I do that how will it impact the metallic thread? Thanks for your help! I will post pics when I am done finishing it.

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color preserver question
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.82.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 13, 2012 01:10PM

Hi, Kevin. if you get a little on the outside edges of the metallic it won't be noticeable. I'd go for that and then just put finish over your metallic guide wraps, youll get a better bond this way than applying cp over it.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 04:49PM

Warning!
Even with CP many colors will NOT stay exactly as on the spool and will darken half a shade or more sometimes. Also, it's like painting a black wall with white paint and
expecting a true white wall with one coat. Ain't gonna happen! The dark blank will do the same as the wall.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.82.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 13, 2012 05:12PM

Kevin says the trim butts up against the metallic silver, if he coats the trims with cp and just gets a slight amount on the start of the metallic, i really cant see it discolouring, infact ive done this once on an occasion using madeira for the trim and gudebrod lime green metallic for the guide wraps, never had any discolouration when i went slightly over on to the start of the green after applying finish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2012 07:04PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 07:38PM

Steve Mcleod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin says the trim butts up against the metallic
> silver, if he coats the trims with cp and just
> gets a slight amount on the start of the metallic,
> i really cant see it discolouring, infact ive done
> this once on an occasion using madeira for the
> trim and gudebrod lime green metallic for the
> guide wraps, never had any discolouration when i
> went slightly over on to the start of the green
> after applying finish.

Very true. The CP isn't going to discolor the metallic thread unless he applies it way to heavy without wicking off the excess and ends up with some white haze.

Kevin said "The polyester thread is the exact color I want it to stay " so I added my warning. I should have advised him to do a test wrap using the poly thread
with CP to be sure any slight color change won't surprise him during the build.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 01:00PM

Kevin,
Test, test, test, before you apply finish to your rod.

Take an old blank and put on some identical wraps that you have on your new rod. Wrap a dozen different test sections on the test blank.

Then, try several different methods of finish. i.e. no cp, one coat of cp, two coats of cp. Cp over just the nylon thread, cp over everything etc.
Then, apply a couple of coats of finish and take a picture and document your test results.

You might find that you might actually prefer the look of having the color go darker on the nylon thread with out any cp.

p.s.
I never build a rod where I have two different adjacent colors with different threads that I try to match. It is nearly impossible to get an exact color match on two different types and brands of thread, so I don't try. Rather, any time that I have two different thread types, I make sure that the colors are contrasting, rather than matching. that way there is never an issue in trying to match.

p.p.s.
The one thing that I frequently do is to use nylon thread with no CP to get a perfect color match to the color of the blank.

Again, before doing this, I will test, test, and test. I will do a test wrap on the blank with the thread in question and then completely saturate it with DNA. The DNA will darken the non NCP thread by about the same amount as what happens when finish is applied with no CP. If I get the thread color match to the blank under these conditions, I will go ahead and wrap the blank. Then, I will often use a contrasting metallic thread for trim wraps to bring a splash of color to the blended thread wraps on the blank.

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 01:01PM

Kevin,
Test, test, test, before you apply finish to your rod.

Take an old blank and put on some identical wraps that you have on your new rod. Wrap a dozen different test sections on the test blank.

Then, try several different methods of finish. i.e. no cp, one coat of cp, two coats of cp. Cp over just the nylon thread, cp over everything etc.
Then, apply a couple of coats of finish and take a picture and document your test results.

You might find that you might actually prefer the look of having the color go darker on the nylon thread with out any cp.

p.s.
I never build a rod where I have two different adjacent colors with different threads that I try to match. It is nearly impossible to get an exact color match on two different types and brands of thread, so I don't try. Rather, any time that I have two different thread types, I make sure that the colors are contrasting, rather than matching. that way there is never an issue in trying to match.

p.p.s.
The one thing that I frequently do is to use nylon thread with no CP to get a perfect color match to the color of the blank.

Again, before doing this, I will test, test, and test. I will do a test wrap on the blank with the thread in question and then completely saturate it with DNA. The DNA will darken the non NCP thread by about the same amount as what happens when finish is applied with no CP. If I get the thread color match to the blank under these conditions, I will go ahead and wrap the blank. Then, I will often use a contrasting metallic thread for trim wraps to bring a splash of color to the blended thread wraps on the blank.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster