I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gel ink inscription problem
Posted by: Bryon Anderson (---.ssa.gov)
Date: April 13, 2012 11:05AM

I have an 8' Shakespeare Wonderod that I am in the process of restoring to fishability. So far, I have stripped off the old rod finish, refinished with two coats of Permagloss (which turned out great), and wrapped on new guides. I wanted to do an inscription in red on the white blank, so I got some good quality gel ink pens (having had good luck with this medium before, on factory-finished graphite blanks), and proceeded to inscribe. In the past, I've always coated hand-lettered inscriptions with artist's spray fixative before applying epoxy. However, when I went to apply the fixative this time, my pretty red inscription started to run and bleed all over the place. The pens were made by Pilot, I forget the specific model, but they came in a 5-pack with red, green, blue, purple and black and (the reason I chose them) a micro-fine 0.4mm point. Does anyone know why this happened, and how I can prevent it? I had let the ink dry for at least an hour prior to spraying the fixative; perhaps a longer drying time? I'd really like to use these pens, but if the ink can't maintain its integrity in the face of spray fixative, I'm guessing it wouldn't fare too well against epoxy or Permagloss, either. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gel ink inscription problem
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 11:29AM

I use these pens
What I do after writing is heat several times with a hair dryer to make sure it is dry
Sounds like the ink was still wet
Also maybe to wet a first coat of fixative

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2012 11:33AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bryon Anderson (---.ssa.gov)
Date: April 13, 2012 12:21PM

That's a good idea Bill. I was hoping that it was something as simple as just letting the ink dry more thoroughly. Thanks!

Posted by: Andrew Lang (208.60.60.---)
Date: April 13, 2012 01:16PM

Just a thought here but I painted a lure recently and wanted to coat with a clear finish over the paint. My finish was a spray lacquer type. However as soon as I sprayed it the paint began bubbling. What I eventually figured out was the can was pretty low and what was left was pretty much pure solvent. If the can is pretty low that may be the problem. Another thing to try is to put down a piece of the shiny clear scotch tape and write on that. You can't see the tape after finish is applied and it may dry better on the tape.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 07:08PM

Bryon,
Reletter the rod.
Then, apply an additional coat of finish over the lettering.
But, when doing the coating, do NOT brush any of the coating where the inscription is located. Use just enough finish to nicely coat, without excess flowing and do not brush where the finish was located. You should be good to go.

If you brush a finish over an inscription, you risk blurring the inscription. but if you flow on a nice thin coat of finish over the inscription, without any additional material over the inscription; you sould be good to go.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 11:55AM

Andrew

Sounds like you painted with enamel and then the lacquer was to hot for it Thus the bubbling

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster