I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bubbles constantly appearing after hitting them
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.hdcz1.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 13, 2012 03:45AM

Hi All,

Not very often I have to post regarding epoxying issues but this one has really annoyed me to the max. I did an 11" epoxy job on the butt section of the blank and after laying down a base wrap and 1 coat of CP. After applying the epoxy I got the usual bubbles but this time they all rather small and easy to remove after hitting them with some heat. The issue I was experienced is that the bubbles would reappear in exact the same spots and no matter how many times I hit them with heat they would reappear. Very frustrating

Could it be that the CP trapped air between the blank and CP that caused this. Im looking for ways to minimize this.

Any heap or advice is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bubbles constantly appearing after hitting them
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 13, 2012 06:41AM

Hi Bill,
What sort of thread are you using? Maybe more than one coat of cp is required to displace the air in the thread. Never had that issue. I'm using Madeira with at least three coats of cp and I get a few small bubbles that disappear with a bit of heat and don't return.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: April 13, 2012 07:23AM

Hi Col,

Im using fishhawk A thread if that helps.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 07:27AM

What finish? I have had the same issue, but with Prowrap metallics.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: April 13, 2012 07:33AM

Hi Kev,

Im using TM lite. I think it may have some to do with using Chromseal CP. Never had this issue when using Carson CP with any fishhawk or prowrap. Only used chromoseal CP because I ran out of Carsons. Might even be becuase I didnt use enough CP.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.82.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 13, 2012 08:36AM

I use chromaseal too and never had this problem either. but i always apply 2 or 3 coats, making sure it really saturates the threads and then wicking off the excess, and leaving it dry over night before appling finish. Maybe it was because you only applied 1 coat? plus if you constantly apply to much heat to the wraps it will cause a lot of bubbles to come to the surface, and if you keep hitting the same spots it will just keep happening. Might be better to exhale through a straw to get them out.

Date: April 13, 2012 08:38AM

Thanks Stev,

Might have to try putting extra coats next..

Cheers

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 09:15AM

I always put a wet coat on while turning Seems to work Then as I see the thread soak it up put another before completely dry and extra alongside the guide feet

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 10:27AM

To much heat will also cause bubbles!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 01:58PM

On LONG wraps, always use the slowest curing, thinnest epoxy you can find for the 1st coat and make sure to apply that coat SUPER thin. Plan on applying 2 more coats later, the 1st thin coat will not only allow air to disperse, but it will allow it to disperse MUCH easier than a thicker coat will. Never apply heat either, let it do it's thing. If you still have bubbles after using a thin slow curing finish and applying it thinly, ....well.....you wont!

DR

Date: April 13, 2012 07:35PM

Thanks lad. I will definetly employ some of those tips. I'll try applying a thing coat.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 12:52PM

Duane,
Lots of different ways to finish a rod.
I typically never use CP because I don't like the look that you get with CP.
I generally use one coat of thick flex coat and the rods come out looking perfect.
I do mix and apply the finish very quickly at about 100-200 rpm. I also apply the newly mixed finish on the longest wraps first. When applying, I never worry about bubble, I worry about just getting enough finish on the rod for a perfect even finish. I also don't worry if I have applied too much finish.

I do worry if I haven't applied enough finish.

After I have coated all of the wraps and guides, I go back to the butt of the rod with the rod turning more slowly and apply heat to thin and even the finish in any areas that need it. On newly mixed finish, a bit of heat will thin the finish to the viscosity of water and allow any excess to drip off of the rod.

I generally take about 3 minutes to apply finish on the full length of the wraps and guides and another 3 or 4 minutes to go over each and every section of the rod to be sure that every wrap is perfectly covered with no bubbles or other unevenness in the finish.

A thousand ways to apply finish to have it come out perfect.

There are 10,000 ways to apply finish to have it come out less than perfect.

Choose a method that you like and gives you the results that you like and stick with it.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.118.186.31.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 14, 2012 01:41PM

Roger, can i ask what do you mean by you don't like the look you get with cp? and what cp did you use to put you off using it? i don't use cp on guide wraps i prefer a thin coat of finish. I always use cp on butt wraps and weaves, and if i use cp on ncp thread it gives the thread a brighter appearence than just finish alone.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 04:27PM

Steve,
If I use CP, I get a fairly flat bright color appearance to the non NCP standard nylon thread.
If I don't use CP, I get a darker color from the thread and the thread becomes semi transparent which is the look that I prefer.
The CP that I use works exactly as advertised and does have all of the advantages that have been listed by many folks in other listings.
If a client requests that look that one gets with CP, then of course I will use it and the results will be just fine.

Just generally speaking, I would rather have the semi transparent look to the thread that I get by using non NCP standard nylon thread and no CP.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.109.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 14, 2012 06:29PM

Ok, thank you. i was just curious. to each his own as they say. I also like like the translucent effect without cp on the darker colour threads, and have done a few rods that way.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 08:50PM

Roger,

I didn't see where you had a dog in this fight before my post-why call me out? Maybe you should have helped the guy instead, rather than waiting on my responce then going in the opposite direction to make things even more confusing for the guy that needs the help.

My responce was MY WAY of making it work, and work every time, for ME.

Everyone here that makes a post here on the RB is merely voicing their opinion in one of those 1,000-10,000 ways.

DR

Date: April 17, 2012 07:55AM

Thank you all for your great posts. I will certainly be putting all the great tips into the memory bank.

Cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster