I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

just curious
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 10:59AM

I have seen a fair number of folks who insist on holding their open-face spin reels upside down and reeling backward. Some of them were pretty darn good anglers. Has anyone built a spiral wrapped spin rod for a person like this? Just curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: just curious
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 11, 2012 11:28AM

You're kidding???

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 11:41AM

I've seen this too and it's most curious. I've even explained that the reel retrieve can be changed from right to left handed, etc and it doesn't seem to matter. It's got to be the most uncomfortable fishing position ever. But no, I've not built a spiral wrap for anyone that uses a spinning reel like this.

terry

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 11:47AM

Nope. "Upside down" spin fishermen are a discreet [if shrinking] population, and their preference causes them to give up a major advantage of open-face spin rods - the guides being on the most efficient position on the rod. Anglers who select components by the milligram commonly order elaborate rod-art, thus surrendering their quest for the lightest rod possible. Nobody questions the logic of this contradiction. Why is a spiral-wrap spin rod beyond belief?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2012 11:51AM

It was a practice that was begun years ago when spinning reels were only available as left hand retrieve models. To retrieve with your right hand, you had to flip the reel up on top.

I'd have to stop short of calling such folks "pretty darn good anglers" as putting a spinning reel up on top creates a tremendously unstable fishing outfit. They may get by and even catch quite a few nice fish, but a "pretty good angler" would use or acquire his or her tackle a bit better. It certainly can't be considered any sort of a "savvy" practice. It's cumbersome and offers zero advantages.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 11:56AM

GOOGANS,Bennies,Shoobies They are also fun to watch on the Beach! Some of the casting Styles are Hillarious. The 10 yard running cast , the Hop-skip and jump cast, and the classical Ballarina cast standing on one foot with the rod extended at arms length. I've also seen the 360 degree spin cast and the Backward over the shoulder toss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2012 11:58AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 12:20PM

I've seen the sort of contortions Barry Thomas describes and it was the first image that crossed my mind when I read Phil's post.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: April 11, 2012 12:23PM

I may be way off base here,but it seems to me that the kind of fisherman that would fish a reel upside down would not be the kind of fisherman that would bother to invest in a nice custom rod.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 12:44PM

I recall seeing news video of the two former Presidents Bush fishing from their powerboat off Kennebunkport.
George Herbert Walker Bush, the senior, was winding a rather large black reel backwards while it was perched over the zero axis of his rod.
It was a sad day for sport fishing in the United States.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2012 01:18PM

By now these upside-down spin-fishers should be pretty well limited to retirement areas.

Back in the early fifties, when spinning equipment was first making it's onto the North American market, most folks had learned to fish on bait-casters. Folks who had been raised on a top mounted reel that cast right and reeled right automatically turned the new rods upside down, which meant they had to crank backwards...

At that time there was an English reel called am Ambidex, that only had a half bale but the handle could be mounted on either side. It lost favor and disappeared when the French Mitchell 300 came on the scene. It was many years before other reel makers figured out a reversible handle was a good idea.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 01:36PM

In the party boat fleet we call it "coffee grinding".

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 02:13PM

What??? I'm not the only one that does that?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 04:01PM

I had stopped wondering why people did certain things a long time ago

I just look and shake my head

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 04:10PM

I think most of them got the idea from a Kool cigarette billboard that ran years ago. Upside down spinner...six feet tall for the world to see. I thought "man those New York ad execs need to get out more".
Anybody remember that billboard?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 04:17PM

Hay
NY is a fun city

That was not the Camel - was it - Been a while

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.11.---)
Date: April 12, 2012 10:33AM

Watch those same folks swing a baseball bat. Hands criss-crossed wrong with about 7" of space between them. A febble downward chop swing as the wrong foot steps forward. But a smile on their face at any contact. Don't attempt to teach them to fly fish and giving them a simple bow & arrow could result in the loss of their eye. Coordination & intelligence are definitely related!

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 01:55PM

The customer is always right...Build it the way they want it. I dont see spiral wrapping being any great advantage in this case because no matter how you wrap it, the reel always wants to flop over anyway, and when I've seen people fish this way the rod is rocking side to side while they reel. A total lack of balance no matter how you build it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster