I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wonder Weaver Difficulty
Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.mtaonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 12:49AM

After after these years of wrapping rods, but not doing much to really dress 'em up, I'm ready to do some decorative wrapping using a Renzetti wonder weaver or a Doc Ski jig. Any thoughts on ease of use, the pros' & cons using each, wonder weaver Vs wonder weaver II, Doc Ski's Vs Renzetti's. I've seen the Doc Ski jig in action as the local rod shop has provided them. As the winters are pretty long here (there's still 3 ft of snow in my yard), I'd like to start with the research now and be ready to start working on my first one next fall. Any thoughts/opinions, and the occasional fact or two, would be appreciated. I like the horror story's too, as I'm sure 'll have my share of 'em.

R.P. Vernacchio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wonder Weaver Difficulty
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 11, 2012 07:17AM

Hello R.P.

I have both wonder weavers and one like Doc's.

In my opion they all work but if you are going to do anything complicated, or all the way around the blank the WW is the better choice.

If you are just putting a name on the blank the Doc's will work fine with less setup time.

Hopefully Jim & or Doc will chime in on this one and be able to explain it better.

A lot is preference.

Happy Weaving.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2012 07:20AM

The Renzetti model allows you to weave a complete 360 degrees around the rod.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.156.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 11, 2012 10:15AM

I use the doc ski 100 thread loom, i've read great things about the wonder weaver and will probably get one when i start to do patterns that are over 100 threads. If it's your first time at weaving you might want to start off with a cheaper loom like doc's, instead of buying the more expensive wonder weaver, then if you get a liking for it you can upgrade. If you do decide to buy one of doc's looms, i'd reccommend you buy the 100 thread one, if you buy the 80 or 50 thread looms, you'll only obviously be able to weave up to those amounts.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 02:16PM

If you intend to work on more than one axis ( ie: fish on one side and initials on the other) or do weaves that wrap the rod you will need the Wonder Weaver in one form or the other. The two wheel version will be just fine for everything but metallic threads. If you want to do a lot of weaves using metallic threads you will do well to get the three wheel version as it controls the long tails on the left side of your weave. Send me an E-Mail and I will try to answer any questions you have.

Jim

Posted by: Ed Hickl (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 04:05PM

Pay attention to what Jim says- I have both jigs and use both. Which one I use depends on the weave thread count and my mood. Agree too get the 100 thread Doc Ski jig if you only get one.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 05:43PM

You can always use less thread

But when you want more -- then what ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 05:44PM

You can always use less thread

But when you want more -- then what ??

being cheap does not mean Quality

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: April 11, 2012 06:18PM

The Wonderweaver will do it all, large or small, so if you buy only one, that one will be the one to get, IMO.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 09:52PM

I have several size sets of Doc Ski's jigs and a 3 wheel Wonder Weaver and use them all depending on the pattern used and placement location.

That said, I recommend buying a 2 or 3 wheel Wonder and then making the jig sets your self in what ever thread count you'll work with most. A Wonder Weaver "style" loom can be made yourself as well but for the time and materials spent in the making of a "quality" tool you won't be ahead by much by making your own version.

The 2 wheel W.W. can be set up to take up a shorter overall area than any large thread count set of jigs.

Jigs,(large count) although taking up more space to set up, have a wider space between threads making them easier to work with. That's why I will use a smaller count jig set sometimes in place of my W.W. unless I'm using metallic threads.

You can't easily complete a 360 degree weave without a W.W. but you can do weaves on 2 axis with 2 sets of jigs.

The only "horror stories" I have is trying a multi-laye weave with TAPE and no jigs or loom! Some can do that but NOT me.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: April 12, 2012 02:12PM

I really appreciate everyone's insightful comments. I really had no idea what I wanted to accomplish beyond weaving one-dimensional initials. I would like to do some patterns such as fish, flags, etc. Jim (and others), I may take you up on asking questions via email. Since I posted this initially, I discovered there are quite a few worthy youtube videos on the subject. I will pay a visit to C&M while I'm in the area over the next few weeks, and pick up the Doc Ski 100 count jig as a starting point.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster